Re: Word frequencies: 'God'

  • Alan Fuller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
      Hi Ian,

      This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
      frequencies might have?

      Alan
      Texas
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
        Alan asked

        >This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
        >frequencies might have?

        I would argue that it is one of three ways that Revelation uses numbers to
        'embody' its theology, the other two being the use of square, rectangular
        and triangular numbers, and gematria.

        Bauckham believes that the use of word frequencies and patterning in
        repetition of phrases is so widespread and consistent that it forms a
        central part of the structuring of the book (chapter 1 of 'Climax'). In my
        (popular level) Grove booklet I offer some hermeneutical criteria by which
        we may discern whether these things are fanciful or indeed part of the book
        which we need to take notice of, primarily by focussing on the issue of
        reception by a first-century audience (rather than by depending on a notion
        of author's intention.)

        Bauckham draws on the frequency to help in formulating his understanding of
        the theology of Revelation wrt these different terms, especially when it
        comes to what Revelation says about God, the Spirit and Jesus.

        http://www.grovebooks.co.uk