RE: [revelation-list] Word frequencies: 'God'

  • Steve Thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
      I too have been impressed for example by Bauckham's statement that "Lamb"
      occurs 28 times in Revelation. However, I wonder whether the existence of
      variant manuscript readings alters the statistics is some cases? If so, the
      question remains whether the author or a later editor or copyist is
      responsible for the frequency.

      Steven Thompson
      Avondale College

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
        >I too have been impressed for example by Bauckham's statement that "Lamb"
        >occurs 28 times in Revelation. However, I wonder whether the existence of
        >variant manuscript readings alters the statistics is some cases? If so,
        the
        >question remains whether the author or a later editor or copyist is
        >responsible for the frequency.

        Steven

        Are you thinking of this as a general principle, or are there examples of
        the word 'arnion' that you have in mind?

        Would it be worth sharing my list of word frequencies, in case others have
        found more?

        Ian Paul
      • Alan Fuller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
          Hi Ian,

          This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
          frequencies might have?

          Alan
          Texas
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
            Alan asked

            >This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
            >frequencies might have?

            I would argue that it is one of three ways that Revelation uses numbers to
            'embody' its theology, the other two being the use of square, rectangular
            and triangular numbers, and gematria.

            Bauckham believes that the use of word frequencies and patterning in
            repetition of phrases is so widespread and consistent that it forms a
            central part of the structuring of the book (chapter 1 of 'Climax'). In my
            (popular level) Grove booklet I offer some hermeneutical criteria by which
            we may discern whether these things are fanciful or indeed part of the book
            which we need to take notice of, primarily by focussing on the issue of
            reception by a first-century audience (rather than by depending on a notion
            of author's intention.)

            Bauckham draws on the frequency to help in formulating his understanding of
            the theology of Revelation wrt these different terms, especially when it
            comes to what Revelation says about God, the Spirit and Jesus.

            http://www.grovebooks.co.uk