Word frequencies: 'God'

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
      Dear list members

      A number of people (especially Richard Bauckham) have looked at the
      significance of word frequencies in Revelation.

      I wonder if anyone had come across any comment on the fact that the word
      'God' appears 96 (= 2 x 4 x 12) times in the book.

      regards

      Revd Dr Ian Paul 32 Penn Hill Avenue, Poole, Dorset England BH14 9LZ
    • Steve Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
        I too have been impressed for example by Bauckham's statement that "Lamb"
        occurs 28 times in Revelation. However, I wonder whether the existence of
        variant manuscript readings alters the statistics is some cases? If so, the
        question remains whether the author or a later editor or copyist is
        responsible for the frequency.

        Steven Thompson
        Avondale College

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
          >I too have been impressed for example by Bauckham's statement that "Lamb"
          >occurs 28 times in Revelation. However, I wonder whether the existence of
          >variant manuscript readings alters the statistics is some cases? If so,
          the
          >question remains whether the author or a later editor or copyist is
          >responsible for the frequency.

          Steven

          Are you thinking of this as a general principle, or are there examples of
          the word 'arnion' that you have in mind?

          Would it be worth sharing my list of word frequencies, in case others have
          found more?

          Ian Paul
        • Alan Fuller
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
            Hi Ian,

            This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
            frequencies might have?

            Alan
            Texas
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
              Alan asked

              >This is intresting, but what significance do you think these word
              >frequencies might have?

              I would argue that it is one of three ways that Revelation uses numbers to
              'embody' its theology, the other two being the use of square, rectangular
              and triangular numbers, and gematria.

              Bauckham believes that the use of word frequencies and patterning in
              repetition of phrases is so widespread and consistent that it forms a
              central part of the structuring of the book (chapter 1 of 'Climax'). In my
              (popular level) Grove booklet I offer some hermeneutical criteria by which
              we may discern whether these things are fanciful or indeed part of the book
              which we need to take notice of, primarily by focussing on the issue of
              reception by a first-century audience (rather than by depending on a notion
              of author's intention.)

              Bauckham draws on the frequency to help in formulating his understanding of
              the theology of Revelation wrt these different terms, especially when it
              comes to what Revelation says about God, the Spirit and Jesus.

              http://www.grovebooks.co.uk