Re: [revelation-list] Morning star

  • Pere Porta Roca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
      From: "Ian Paul" <editor@...>
      To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 6:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [revelation-list] Morning star

      This is not strictly true. Venus (commonly called the morning star) is
      actually visible between daybreak and the rising of the sun over the

      Yes... but you do not answer my question: is it logical to translate
      'morning star'? Would it not be better translated as 'the early morning
      star' or as 'the dawn star'?

      Pere
    • Upham family
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2003
        Dear Pere,
        The received text adds the words, "and early" which is found in only13 Greek
        manuscripts.
        The vast majority of the handwritten manuscripts, more than 250, do not
        contain these words
        and this includes the 3 oldest manuscripts, Aleph, A and C. The only
        aditional reference for
        moring star in the New Testament is found in Revelation 2:28. Sincerely,
        T.Upham

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2003
          I said:

          >This is not strictly true. Venus (commonly called the morning star) is
          >actually visible between daybreak and the rising of the sun over the

          and Pere replied

          >Yes... but you do not answer my question: is it logical to translate
          >'morning star'? Would it not be better translated as 'the early morning
          >star' or as 'the dawn star'?

          But there is an important issue here regarding methodology in translation
          and semantic fields. The text appears to be referring (in the context of a
          metaphor) to that which in English is already known as 'the morning star.'
          So we had better translate it into English as 'the morning star'--even if we
          think that is not a good English description of what it refers to!