SV: [revelation-list] A question

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
      Dear Pere,

      I checked the German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and English/American
      translations which I have available. Most of these translate Rev 22:15
      indicatively. Rightly so, I think. A few translations: Danish 1992, Geneva
      Bible 1599 (unless "shall be" is meant as a real future?), New Jerusalem
      Bible in English. Moreover, if I understand the French versions, including
      French Bible Jerusalem, then they have a nominal sentence, i.e. without any
      verb. They may thus be interpreted as indicatively.

      Thus, I think most translations (I have not checked the commentaries) simply
      assert that those mentioned in Rev 22:15 are outside. Indeed, nobody are
      forced to leave the New Jerusalem, for only believers are in that city, and
      they are of course not forced to leave it, as 3:12 also makes clear.

      Hope this helps.

      Dr. Georg S. Adamsen
      The Lutheran School of Theology in Aarhus, Denmark

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
          > I checked the German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and English/American

          > Thus, I think most translations (I have not checked the commentaries)
          simply
          > assert that those mentioned in Rev 22:15 are outside. Indeed, nobody are
          > forced to leave the New Jerusalem, for only believers are in that city,
          and
          > they are of course not forced to leave it, as 3:12 also makes clear.

          Yesterday I checked two different Catalan bibles issued in the second
          half-XX century and in both an exclamation mark is at the end of the clause.
          This clearly says the clause was understood as imperative by translators.

          Yours

          Pere
        • Upham family
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
            Dear sir,

            The sentence in Revelaiton 22:15 is not a command or an imperative, but
            simply a statement,
            and I paraphrase it, "no dogs will be in heaven." I take this to mean
            people with a doglike spirit as seen in the following Scriptures. : Isaiah
            59:10,11, Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30,
            Matthew 7:6 and Philippians 3:2. If you would like a one page study with
            every reference to dogs in the Old and New Testaments in sentence form in
            outline form with the Hebrew and Greek words, etc. then please send me $1.00
            and I will mail it to you. Sincerely, T. Upham
            408 Luken St., N. Judson, IN 46366.