Re: The Seven Mountains According to Jude

  • Alan Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2003
      Hi Ed,

      Thanks for your response.

      Jude 14,15 looks very much like a direct quote of I Enoch 1:9 to me.
      So I think it is very likely that Jude had access to the book. Then
      in the preceding verse, with the exception of the feasts, all the
      items can be found in I Enoch, so it seems likely to me that he has
      it in mind. I think the give away is the stars doomed to eternal
      darkness. He compares all of these things to false teachers and says
      they were prophesied of by Enoch (14), and foretold of by the
      apostles (17). So using the types of examples Enoch did to
      illustrate Jude's point comes very close to interpreting to me.
      Don't we do that with Daniel when interpreting Revelations 17?
      Consider Galatians 4:24.

      Kings in Revelation aren't all earthly. An angel is referred to as a
      king, as is Christ. (9:11,15:3,17:14,19:16)

      We may suppose that John simply reported what he saw. I'm not at all
      opposed to that. But he saw seven stars and seven mountains similar
      to those found in Enoch, and the book of Enoch preceded Revelation
      regardless of whose reign it was written under. The pattern and
      symbols related to that pattern are also similar. We don't find
      seven mountains or stars in Daniel.

      Thanks,
      Alan