The Seven Mountains According to Jude

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2003
      Message

      Alan,

      In your last post of 06/11/2003 you say, when speaking of certain symbols found in I Enoch that "Jude interprets all of these symbols as referring to false teachers."

      Are you suggesting that Jude is interpreting or expounding upon I Enoch? If so then I disagree. I do not know that it is matter of Jude interpreting I Enoch. I think it is more a matter of Jude borrowing word pictures from I Enoch. My suspicion is that Jude was probably familiar with some writing(s) under the name of Enoch and borrowed some analogies from them.

      A little later on you say, "If John interpreted these symbols as did Jude," Are you suggesting that John is interpreting or expounding upon I Enoch?

      Again, as in the case of Jude, I do not believe that John is interpreting I Enoch. This to me seems very unlikely.

      In the case of Revelation John himself describes the revelation as "the Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him" (1:1) and he is told, "What thou seest, write in a book" (1:11). The revelation is given to him by God and he is told to write what he sees in a book. Given what we know about John's charge to record the revelation granted him, why would he introduce symbols from I Enoch?

      But then perhaps I am too old fashion in my understanding of scripture.

      Ed

      Kansas

    • Alan Fuller
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2003
        Hi Ed,

        Thanks for your response.

        Jude 14,15 looks very much like a direct quote of I Enoch 1:9 to me.
        So I think it is very likely that Jude had access to the book. Then
        in the preceding verse, with the exception of the feasts, all the
        items can be found in I Enoch, so it seems likely to me that he has
        it in mind. I think the give away is the stars doomed to eternal
        darkness. He compares all of these things to false teachers and says
        they were prophesied of by Enoch (14), and foretold of by the
        apostles (17). So using the types of examples Enoch did to
        illustrate Jude's point comes very close to interpreting to me.
        Don't we do that with Daniel when interpreting Revelations 17?
        Consider Galatians 4:24.

        Kings in Revelation aren't all earthly. An angel is referred to as a
        king, as is Christ. (9:11,15:3,17:14,19:16)

        We may suppose that John simply reported what he saw. I'm not at all
        opposed to that. But he saw seven stars and seven mountains similar
        to those found in Enoch, and the book of Enoch preceded Revelation
        regardless of whose reign it was written under. The pattern and
        symbols related to that pattern are also similar. We don't find
        seven mountains or stars in Daniel.

        Thanks,
        Alan