RE: Previous Heads and Horns

  • Flowers, Ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2003
      I don't think you expect too much. But I believe we don't put as much importance on the numerological symolism as John intended. Sevens tend to represent "completeness" and tens tend to represent "worldly power." I think John cared more about the ideas the number evoked than the precise list of emperors or kingdoms. Whether the real list was 6, 7, 8, or 9 emperors, and where the list list started was not nearly as important as the idea of "completeness" that John wanted to evoke. Fudging the exact list was OK. Consider the lists of the 12 tribes given in Rev. John did some juggling there to make sure the list was 12 long.

      Ken Flowers
      Lexington MA