Babylon and Rome : Aune's Coin

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29 2:15 PM
      Dave Mathewson just wrote concerning a coin from about 71 A.D.:

      "The reverse of the coin depicts the goddess Roma sitting on Rome's seven
      mountains/hills. This may provide a parallel to John's vision in chap. 17."

      Perhaps.

      Note: Rome is never mentioned in Revelation nor is there any indisputable
      reference made to it. Jerusalem, on the other hand, is clearly referred to
      in 11:8 as 'the great city'. The first of several uses of that expression.

      Sorry, I could not help myself. I shall try and keep quiet.

      Ed Garcia
    • Don K. Preston
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29 5:02 PM
        Wish I had more time to weigh in on this fascinating discussion. However,
        just a note. Vincent's Word Studies says that Jerusalem did sit on 7 hills.
        Perhaps "oros" comes into play here.
        Further, could it not be that as suggested earlier by Kym Smith (I believe
        that is correct) that this is part of the mystery? The apparent referent
        would perhaps be to Rome, but the enigmatic allusion would be to the other
        city that also sat on seven hills.
        On another tac: The woman and the beast are two separate entities (17:7).
        The woman sits on the beast, but the woman sits on the seven hills. I
        suggest that the seven hills represent the beast, and not the woman. Thus,
        you have two separate entities. The woman is Babylon, and the Beast is
        actually represented by the seven hills.
        The sitting on the beast suggests more of a partnership rather than
        identity. This corresponds well, it seems to me, with the tenuous
        partnership between Jerusalem and Rome in the persecution of the church. It
        is widely accepted that Nero was under the influence of Poppea, Acte, and
        other Jews, even the ambassage from Jerusalem, when the burning of Rome took
        place.
        This "partnership" posit works well with the idea that the beast turns on
        the harlot, hates her, and burns her with fire.
        Would like to say more on this but I must run.
        Am surely glad to see the board so active again. My thanks to George for his
        work.
        Don K