Cyrus and Rev 16:12

    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2003
      Are any of you aware of scholarly articles or even books which discuss
      whether Rev 16:12 perhaps alludes to Cyrus in Isaiah 40ff?

      So far I have found a quite detailed discussion in Beale's recent commentary
      and a few scattered remarks in other commentaries, but nothing more.

      Any references would be welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

      Dr. Georg S. adamsen
    • jonp
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2003
        Beale's work does appear to be the best scholarly outline of this
        position.

        In his new commentary (Revelation of Jesus Christ, Andrews University
        Press, 2002, p. 491) Ranko Stefanovic also seems to understand the Cyrus
        account of Isa 44-45, along with the fall of Babylon passage in Jer
        50-51, as an essential subtext for the whole of Rev 16-19. I agree and
        would extend that through Rev 22.

        I may have been the one who first pointed him in that direction, but I
        have not written about it specifically. I did address the larger context
        of the passage briefly in my article on "Armageddon" in the Anchor Bible
        Dictionary in 1992.

        The fall of Babylon narratives in the Hebrew Bible detail a king who
        arises in the East (rising sun-- Isa 41:2,25), who dries up the
        Euphrates River (Jer 50:37-38; 51:36; Isa 44:24-28), conquers Babylon
        (Isa 44-47, Jer 50-51, Dan 5), frees the exiles of Judah (Jer 50:33-34)
        and builds a new Jerusalem (Isa 44:24-28). Assuming John was familiar
        with these texts, an assumption warranted by most analyses of his use of
        the Hebrew Bible, these narratives of the prophets bear a remarkable
        resemblance to the broad narrative of Rev 16-22. If John had such a
        subtext in mind, the "kings from the rising of the sun" in Rev 16:12
        would be the most fitting place to look for a Cyrus allusion.

        Jon Paulien, Chair
        New Testament Department
        Andrews University
        jonp@...

        Are any of you aware of scholarly articles or even books which discuss
        whether Rev 16:12 perhaps alludes to Cyrus in Isaiah 40ff?

        So far I have found a quite detailed discussion in Beale's recent
        commentary
        and a few scattered remarks in other commentaries, but nothing more.

        Any references would be welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

        Dr. Georg S. adamsen

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Greg Clarke
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2003
          Fekkes seems to think it is not an allusion.
          Isaiah and Prophetic Traditions (JSOT Sheffield), p. 166.

          Anyway, someone told me that this verse was just fulfilled in Iraq ;)

          Greg Clarke

          Dr G.J.Clarke
          Editor | Matthias Media
          Contact: office (61 2) 9663 1478
          fax: (61 2) 9663 3265
          email: gclarke@...
          mail to: PO Box 225 | Kingsford | NSW | Australia | 2032

          Publishing The Briefing | kategoria | 2 Ways to Live and more...
          Visit www.matthiasmedia.com.au for free downloads

          > From: "Georg S. Adamsen" <gsa@...>
          > Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:02:31 +0200
          > To: "Revelation-List@Yahoogroups. Com" <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [revelation-list] Cyrus and Rev 16:12
          >
          > Are any of you aware of scholarly articles or even books which discuss
          > whether Rev 16:12 perhaps alludes to Cyrus in Isaiah 40ff?
          >
          > So far I have found a quite detailed discussion in Beale's recent commentary
          > and a few scattered remarks in other commentaries, but nothing more.
          >
          > Any references would be welcome. Thank you very much in advance.
          >

          > Dr. Georg S. adamsen

        • Ralph Korner
          Message 4 of 4 , May 15, 2003
            Georg,

            Does perhaps Jan Fekkes III address this in Isaiah and the Prophetic
            Traditions in the Book of Revelation (JSNTSup93)? I do not presently have
            access to a copy to check it out for you.

            Ralph Korner
            Taylor University College
            Edmonton, AB