RE: [revelation-list] Alpha and Omega

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2003
      Hi Ariel

      I found some explanations in Aune on 1:8, 21:6, 22:13 in the paper copy. He
      comments also on 'beginning and end', used in parallel. He says this is
      drawn from Hellenistic religious and philosophical traditions. The comment
      on 21:6 is quite extensive (vol 3 p 1127) quoting Plato alluding to an
      Orphic poem on the Derveni papyrus c 350 BC - Zeus as beginning, middle and
      end. In the comment on 1:8, Aune discusses the Hebrew 'emet, truth, in this
      context and describes the magical nature of the 7 Greek vowels abbreviated
      by A and O (vol 1 p 56-57) including some fanciful transliterations: ieou
      e(stin) A (kai) O. meaning Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, and IAO as a
      substitute for YHWH.

      I trust you can find these on the electronic copy by verse.

      You ask why the writer would not use the Hebrew letters? Surely in a Greek
      ms, Hebrew letters would be out of focus.

      A singer in the choir at the parish church in Patmos who gave us a tour of
      the cave of the apocalypse was proud to say that here God spoke outside the
      Holy Land and in Greek!

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +