Re: [revelation-list] Alpha and Omega

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2003
      Ariel asked

      >Do you know why John uses in Rev 1,8 the Greek
      >alphabet (“I am the Alpha and Omega”) and not the
      >Hebrew one? Why doesn`t he say "Aleph and Tau", as we
      >would wait from a Semitic author, or “emet” (Aleph,
      >Mem, Tau) as the later tradition used to refer to God?

      Aune gives some very helpful background in his much earlier article 'The
      Apocalypse of John and Graeco Roman Magic' which I think would answer your
      question.

      Sadly, as with many of his other early articles, this valuable stuff does
      not appear to have found its rightful place in the commentary.

      Ian Paul
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2003
        Hi Ariel

        I found some explanations in Aune on 1:8, 21:6, 22:13 in the paper copy. He
        comments also on 'beginning and end', used in parallel. He says this is
        drawn from Hellenistic religious and philosophical traditions. The comment
        on 21:6 is quite extensive (vol 3 p 1127) quoting Plato alluding to an
        Orphic poem on the Derveni papyrus c 350 BC - Zeus as beginning, middle and
        end. In the comment on 1:8, Aune discusses the Hebrew 'emet, truth, in this
        context and describes the magical nature of the 7 Greek vowels abbreviated
        by A and O (vol 1 p 56-57) including some fanciful transliterations: ieou
        e(stin) A (kai) O. meaning Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, and IAO as a
        substitute for YHWH.

        I trust you can find these on the electronic copy by verse.

        You ask why the writer would not use the Hebrew letters? Surely in a Greek
        ms, Hebrew letters would be out of focus.

        A singer in the choir at the parish church in Patmos who gave us a tour of
        the cave of the apocalypse was proud to say that here God spoke outside the
        Holy Land and in Greek!

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +