Re: [revelation-list] gdd 16:16a

  • Marko Jauhiainen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
      On 25 Mar 2003 at 7:21, Bob MacDonald wrote:

      > Aune offers several interpretations of Armageddon including one from
      > the LXX referencing Zech 12:11 "in the plain of that which is cut
      > down" reflecting the translators view that megiddon was derived from
      > the Hebrew root gdd to cut down.
      >
      > I am unable to find this Hebrew root in BDB - would it be gada (Strong
      > 1438)?

      The LXX translator may have understood the Hebrew word in Zechariah
      12:11 to derive either from the root gdd (Strong 1413) or gd( (=gimel
      dalet ayin; Strong 1438).

      You may also want to look up page 119 in
      Jansma, Taeke. 1949. Inquiry into the Hebrew Text and the Ancient
      Versions of Zechariah IX-XIV. Leiden: E. J. Brill.

      Shalom,
      Marko