gdd 16:16a

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
      Aune offers several interpretations of Armageddon including one from the LXX
      referencing Zech 12:11 "in the plain of that which is cut down" reflecting
      the translators view that megiddon was derived from the Hebrew root gdd to
      cut down.

      I am unable to find this Hebrew root in BDB - would it be gada (Strong
      1438)?

      Thanks

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

      Catch the foxes for us,
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
    • Marko Jauhiainen
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
        On 25 Mar 2003 at 7:21, Bob MacDonald wrote:

        > Aune offers several interpretations of Armageddon including one from
        > the LXX referencing Zech 12:11 "in the plain of that which is cut
        > down" reflecting the translators view that megiddon was derived from
        > the Hebrew root gdd to cut down.
        >
        > I am unable to find this Hebrew root in BDB - would it be gada (Strong
        > 1438)?

        The LXX translator may have understood the Hebrew word in Zechariah
        12:11 to derive either from the root gdd (Strong 1413) or gd( (=gimel
        dalet ayin; Strong 1438).

        You may also want to look up page 119 in
        Jansma, Taeke. 1949. Inquiry into the Hebrew Text and the Ancient
        Versions of Zechariah IX-XIV. Leiden: E. J. Brill.

        Shalom,
        Marko