Re: [revelation-list] Constellations in Revelation

  • Phil Mayo
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2003
      I know that R. H. Charles in his commentary (1:315-16) discusses the possibility that the crown of twelve stars in Rev 12 was in the original sources behind this vision a reference to the signs of the zodiac, although he acknowledges that in the present text the writer has adapted the symbol for Christian purposes.  He also considers the 12 stones in the description of the New Jerusalem as representative of the signs of the zodiac in reverse order.

      Adela Yarbro Collins (Combat Myth) also discusses the crown as representative of the signs of the zodiac as a portrayal of the woman as the Queen of Heaven.  She discusses iconographic examples from pagan gods in this connection.

      David Aune in his commentary (2:681) also refers to the crown of 12 stars as the signs of the zodiac in connection to the background of Rev 12 being pagan mythology.

      Philip L. Mayo
      Adjunct Instructor
      Fuller Theological Seminary
      Azusa Pacific University
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2003
        As you may know, E. W. Bullinger talks about the constellations in
        his commentary on Revelation, The Apocalypse, and in The Witness of
        the Stars. I have to wonder, if Revelation was inspired by the
        zodiac, was Genesis 37:9 also? There seems to be a clear allusion.
        But I suppose we could say much of the symbolism in the bible is so
        inspired. Months, weeks, days, etc. are all based on astronomy.

        Alan
      • Bob MacDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
          Aune offers several interpretations of Armageddon including one from the LXX
          referencing Zech 12:11 "in the plain of that which is cut down" reflecting
          the translators view that megiddon was derived from the Hebrew root gdd to
          cut down.

          I am unable to find this Hebrew root in BDB - would it be gada (Strong
          1438)?

          Thanks

          Bob

          mailto::BobMacDonald@...
          + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

          Catch the foxes for us,
          http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
        • Marko Jauhiainen
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
            On 25 Mar 2003 at 7:21, Bob MacDonald wrote:

            > Aune offers several interpretations of Armageddon including one from
            > the LXX referencing Zech 12:11 "in the plain of that which is cut
            > down" reflecting the translators view that megiddon was derived from
            > the Hebrew root gdd to cut down.
            >
            > I am unable to find this Hebrew root in BDB - would it be gada (Strong
            > 1438)?

            The LXX translator may have understood the Hebrew word in Zechariah
            12:11 to derive either from the root gdd (Strong 1413) or gd( (=gimel
            dalet ayin; Strong 1438).

            You may also want to look up page 119 in
            Jansma, Taeke. 1949. Inquiry into the Hebrew Text and the Ancient
            Versions of Zechariah IX-XIV. Leiden: E. J. Brill.

            Shalom,
            Marko