Re: [revelation-list] Re: Thigh

  • Mike McLafferty
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2003
      Bob MacDonald originally inquired (# 455):

      > "And he has upon his robe, that is,
      > upon his thigh, a name inscribed ..."
      >
      > I have not found much written on the
      > location of the name of the rider of
      > the white horse.

      The connotations or evocations of 'thigh' are tempting, but it's also
      possible there's no special significance. An old commentary by Isbon T.
      Beckwith, Ph.D., D.D., "The Apocalypse of John," (NY: Macmillan, 1919) says
      of Rev. 19:16:

      "KAI EPI TON MHRON, *that is, upon his thigh*: KAI, epexegetical. The words
      make more specific the preceding general term; the name is written upon that
      part of his mantle that falls over the thigh, and in the case of a rider is
      especially conspicuous."

      Respectfully,
      Michael McLafferty
      Portland, Oregon, USA
    • Alan Fuller
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 14, 2003
        It may be true that there is no significance to the location of the
        title, but if John practiced midrash, which was supposed to be the
        method of interpretation during the first century, then he probably
        believed everything had significance.

        Alan

        --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "Mike McLafferty"