Thigh

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
      "And he has upon his robe, that is, upon his thigh, a name inscribed ..."

      I have not found much written on the location of the name of the rider of
      the white horse.

      Has anyone any insight on this?

      Thanks

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

      Catch the foxes for us,
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
    • David Barr
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
        At 08:22 AM 3/12/03 -0800, you wrote:
        >"And he has upon his robe, that is, upon his thigh, a name inscribed ..."
        >
        >I have not found much written on the location of the name of the rider of
        >the white horse.
        >
        >Has anyone any insight on this?
        >
        >Thanks

        Perhaps we should try a midrash on Genesis 24? Or perhaps a literary
        approach would be better?

        David

        David L. Barr
        Wright State University
        Dayton OH
      • coates
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
          David Chilton in "The Days of Vengeance" (pp.483-488.)does a short but neat
          exposition on this.

          Jason Coates
          Johannesburg
          S. Africa

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2003
            Jason wrote: >>David Chilton in "The Days of Vengeance" (pp.483-488.)does a
            short but neat exposition on this.

            Unfortunately - this is not available to me in my library. Can you précis
            the idea for us?

            What makes it neat? Is he referring to the potential for intimate promise in
            the selection of a bride? (Abraham's servant) Or is he alluding to that
            part of the thigh which the Israelites never eat because the Lord put
            Israel's thigh out of joint? Or is he drawing on the image of the palanquin
            of Solomon accompanied by soldiers (in the middle of a love song)? The sword
            is usually at the thigh - not the name; in Revelation 19, the sword is at
            the mouth and the name which ought to be spoken is written on the thigh.

            Any of these could point to death through adoration. Personally I am
            convinced of the focus of this book on worship - it is my antidote to the
            popular interpretations of the violence.

            If there is a scholar on the list who would like to tear apart an essay on
            this, see http://bmd.gx.ca/tribulation.htm, subtitled 'turning to come round
            right' in memory of the Appalachian song.

            Bob

            mailto::BobMacDonald@...
            + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

            Catch the foxes for us,
            http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 13, 2003
              The thigh is the place where the sword is worn. (cf.Psalm 45:3)
              The sword is in the mouth as it is by the Gospel, the word of God, that the
              nations are conquered.

              Your point on adoration and worship is well taken as Chilton believes that
              the NT words for "know" (ginosko and oida)are influenced by a Hebrew idiom
              in which the verb form has related connotations such as the idea of close
              ownership, acknowledging and acknowledging one's own. )Here the idea of
              Christ's intimacy with His own purposes seems to come through. He is the one
              who has taken from His side and He is the one employing the sword.) Chilton
              asserts that we do know the name in a cognitive sense, but that Christ alone
              is intimate with ownership and enactment of His name or identity. The sword
              is almost part of Him?

              The chiastic structure of the passage then reinforces this whole idea:

              A. HE HAS A NAME WRITTEN WHICH NO ONE OWNS EXCEPT HIMSELF. (v.12b)
              B. He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood (v.13a)
              C. His name is called the Word of God (v. 13b)
              C. From His mouth comes a sharp two-edged sword (v.15a)
              B. He treads the winepress of the fierce wrath of God (v15b.)
              A. On His Robe and on His thigh He has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND
              LORD OF LORDS (V16)

              "The sharp two-edged sword of 15a answers to 13b's characterization of
              Christ as the Word of God; 15b's information that Christ treads the
              winepress of wrath explains how His robe becomes stained with blood in 13a;
              and 16 tells us the name that 12b says Christ uniquely owns." (Chilton: pp.
              483-484.

              Somehow the replacement of the sword with the written name speaks to me of
              some type of covenantal exchange. The is direct purpose or intent behind
              this. The written name is perhaps an indicator that the sword is now in use
              and the fact that it is no longer at the thigh is emphasised by the
              inscription.

              My next question would be centred on Him treading the winepress of His
              wrath. Surely the thighs or legs are the main instruments of such an action?

              Jason Coates
              Johannesburg
              S. Africa

              >"And he has upon his robe, that is, upon his thigh, a name inscribed ..."
              >
              >I have not found much written on the location of the name of the rider of
              >the white horse.
              >
              >Has anyone any insight on this?
              >
              >Thanks

              Perhaps we should try a midrash on Genesis 24? Or perhaps a literary
              approach would be better?

              David

              David L. Barr
              Wright State University
              Dayton OH

            • Alan Fuller
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 13, 2003
                Here's a midrash style alternative view.

                Often Scripture regards the thigh as the seat of vital functions,
                especially procreation. English translations often obscure this
                connection. The Hebrew text of Genesis 46:26; Exodus 1:5; and Judges
                8:30 gives the thighs (KJV loins) as the source of offspring.

                The name KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS, means to conquer and reign
                justly (Rev 17:14 Ps 72:11 Pr 8:15,16 Da 2:47 Php 2:9-11 1Ti 6:15)
                The name of the rider is The Word of God (19:13).

                The Word of God (Gospel) produces spiritual offspring. They are
                converts to christianity. The Gospel conquers in this manner. This
                is the view of the Gospel of Jesus Christ conquering the earth and
                can perhaps be compared to the great comission or the vision of the
                stone filling the earth in Daniel 2.

                Alan Fuller
              • Mike McLafferty
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Bob MacDonald originally inquired (# 455):

                  > "And he has upon his robe, that is,
                  > upon his thigh, a name inscribed ..."
                  >
                  > I have not found much written on the
                  > location of the name of the rider of
                  > the white horse.

                  The connotations or evocations of 'thigh' are tempting, but it's also
                  possible there's no special significance. An old commentary by Isbon T.
                  Beckwith, Ph.D., D.D., "The Apocalypse of John," (NY: Macmillan, 1919) says
                  of Rev. 19:16:

                  "KAI EPI TON MHRON, *that is, upon his thigh*: KAI, epexegetical. The words
                  make more specific the preceding general term; the name is written upon that
                  part of his mantle that falls over the thigh, and in the case of a rider is
                  especially conspicuous."

                  Respectfully,
                  Michael McLafferty
                  Portland, Oregon, USA
                • Alan Fuller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 14, 2003
                    It may be true that there is no significance to the location of the
                    title, but if John practiced midrash, which was supposed to be the
                    method of interpretation during the first century, then he probably
                    believed everything had significance.

                    Alan

                    --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "Mike McLafferty"