On Rev 21

  • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2003
      I am working on Rev 21:1-8. I would like to know what
      do you think about the possibility to join this
      paragraph with the precedent or posterior section of
      the book. IN fact, Aune´s commentary joins 21:1-8 with
      the precedent section, i.e. 19:11-21:8 as "The final
      defeat of God´s remaining foes". But according with F.
      Comblin it is part of 21:1-22:5. Thank you.

      Ariel Alvarez Valdes

      ------------
      ¡Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión!
      Usuario "yahoo", contraseña "yahoo".
      Desde Buenos Aires, 4004-1010.
      Otras ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar/avanzados.html
    • jonp
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2003
        At the 1988 annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature in
        Chicago I presented a paper entitled "Looking Both Ways: A Study of the
        Duodirectionality of the Structural Seams in the Apocalypse." In that
        paper I argued for a deliberate literary strategy of duodirectionality
        on the part of the author. For me duodirectionality means that the
        structural seams of the Book of Revelation function both as the climax
        of a preceding structure and the introduction to the next. I would
        understand Rev 21:1-8 to be such a duodirectional seam. I include the
        abstract below. Copies of the paper (never got around to preparing it
        for publication) are available from me upon request at jonp@....

        ABSTRACT:
        Recent literature has noted that the structural seams or
        boundaries of the Apocalypse are not hard and fast, but allow for
        thematic and structural interaction between sections of the book.
        Schüssler Fiorenza, for example, describes what she calls "intercalation
        of texts," a compositional technique that divides elements that belong
        together, making attempts at structuring the book quite difficult.
        Leonard Thompson, in his paper presented at the 1985 Annual Meeting in
        Anaheim, implied that the structural seams of the Apocalypse are "soft
        boundaries." Sufficient attention has not been given, however, to the
        boundary structures themselves.
        Perhaps the most significant structural seam in the book of
        Revelation comes at the center of the book, Rev 11:18,19. While 11:18
        contains the content of the seventh trumpet, which climaxes the seven
        trumpet structure, it also incorporates a cryptic summary of the rest of
        the book. Similarly, Rev 3:21; 8:1,2; 14:9-11 and 17:18 all function as
        both the climax of a preceding structure and the introduction to the
        next. This duodirectional language structure, therefore, appears to be
        intentional on the part of the author. Since commentators have observed
        that passages in the Gospel of John such as 2:1-11 and 4:46-54 are
        similarly duodirectional, the structural parallelism between the two
        books may suggest that they in some way partake of a common tradition.

        Jon Paulien, Chair
        New Testament Department
        Andrews University
        jonp@...

        I am working on Rev 21:1-8. I would like to know what
        do you think about the possibility to join this
        paragraph with the precedent or posterior section of
        the book. IN fact, Aune´s commentary joins 21:1-8 with
        the precedent section, i.e. 19:11-21:8 as "The final
        defeat of God´s remaining foes". But according with F.
        Comblin it is part of 21:1-22:5. Thank you.

        Ariel Alvarez Valdes

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/