RE: [revelation-list] Victorinus of Pettau and Rapture

  • Phillip J. Long
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
      > Van Impe also cites ambiguous phrases from Hugo Latimer and
      > Joseph Mede, which don't come close to being any clear
      > statement of a dispensationalist-style pre-Trib rapture. Can
      > anyone comment on the eschatology of these two authors?

      I can comment on Mede. He is a proto- premillenialist, in that Christ
      returns at the end of the conflgation at the end the AC's rule,
      establishes the kingdom, then ruls that kingdom from heaven. The obvious
      difference from the modern form of pre-mil that Dispensationalism
      represents is that Christ is not present on earth during the kingdom.

      What Mede teaches concerning the rapture is that there will be a
      "pre-conflagration" catching away of the church prior to the second
      coming, but he does not flesh this out in any way, and is really not a
      pre-trib rapture as VanImpe would teach. Again, I'd call it
      "proto-pre-trib" if I had to. Mede discusses this pre-conflgration
      rapture in his commentary on 2 Peter, using the story of Noah as a text.
      Really it is a mention of a pre-conflagration rapture, and far from a
      discussion.

      Phillip J. Long
      Associate Professor of Bible
      Grace Bible College