Re: [revelation-list] Victorinus of Pettau and Rapture

  • P. Alain-Marie de Lassus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
      le 10/01/03 5:01, Juan Stam à jstam@... a écrit :

      > Greetings from Costa Rica!
      >
      > I have several questions about Victorinus' commentary on Revelation. Since
      > my resources here in Central America are limited, I will appreciate
      > immensely any help anyone can send on to me!
      >
      > 1) Is Victorinus' commentary available on-line in English, Spanish, German
      > or Latin (Migne?)"? A good translation would be the most helpful.
      >
      > 2) My immediate interest is the following quotation attributed to
      > Victorinus:
      >
      > "Seven angels having the last seven plagues, for in them is completed the
      > indignation of God. And these shall be in the last time when the church
      > shall have gone out of the midst."
      >
      > 2a) can anyone tell me chapter and verse for the quote (I assume it is from
      > the commentary)?
      >
      > 2b) What is the context of the statement? Does the context indicate that
      > Victorinus is teaching a pre-tribulation rapture?
      >
      > Anyone who can help me will have earned at least one extra star in his/her
      > crown in heaven!
      >
      > thanks and best wishes
      >
      > Juan

      Hi Juan,

      I easily found the passage of Victorinus you are looking for in the edition
      of Victorinus commentary published in the "Sources chrétiennes" collection.
      Here is the Latin text:

      "Eamdem repetens persecutionem dicit Apocalypsis: Angelos septem habentes
      plagas quoniam in his finita est ira Dei. Semper enim ira Dei percutit
      populum contumacem septem plagis, id est perfecte, ut in Leuitico dicit,
      quae in ultimo futura sunt, cum ecclesia de medio exierit."

      (See: Victorin de Poetevio, "Sur l'Apocalypse et autres écrits", Sources
      chrétiennes No. 423, Cerf, Paris, 1997, p. 112. This edition gives also a
      French translation of the Latin text).

      Now this is the only commentary Victorinus has about Revelation 15, which is
      quite short, obviously. The next paragraph goes directly to Revelation 19!

      Best wishes,

      Alain M. de Lassus
    • Ramsey Michaels
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hi Juan,

        The notice that the church has "gone out of the midst" (de medio) would not
        have to imply a pre-tribulation rapture as modern dispensationalists
        understand it. It could arise simply out of Victorinus' "reader response" to
        the immediately-preceding 15:1-4, in which "those who were victorious over
        the beast" are seen with harps beside the "sea of glass." Who else but the
        church? And where else but in heaven? Also, this is "in ultimo futura" and
        the plagues are "last" even in relation to previous plagues. This is not the
        beginning of "the tribulation" but well into it, maybe even the end of it.

        Having said that, I have to admit that the phrase "de medio" (presumably
        from the Greek ek mesou) is interesting, matching exactly the Vulgate of 2
        Thess 2:7, which as you may know, is interpreted in some esoteric versions
        of dispensationalism as referring to the pretribulation rapture.

        I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.

        All the best,

        Ramsey Michaels

      • c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
          on 1/10/03 7:41 AM Ramsey Michaels wrote:

          > Having said that, I have to admit that the phrase "de medio" (presumably
          > from the Greek ek mesou) is interesting . . .

          Professor Michaels and Juan,

          Take a look at how de medio is used here.

          Matt. 13:49 sic erit in consummatione saeculi exibunt angeli et separabunt
          malos de medio iustorum

          MATT. 13:49 hOUTWS ESTAI EN THi SUNTELEIAi TOU AIWNOS: EXELEUSONTAI hOI
          AGGELOI KAI AFORIOUSIN TOUS PONHROUS EK MESOU TWN DIKAIWN

          greetings, Clay

          --
          Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
          Three Tree Point
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
            My deep gratitude to Alain-Marie de Lassus, Ramsey Michaels and Clay
            Bartholomew for their valuable help on Victorinus. Looking at other
            passages in Victorinus (thanks to Clay), I find no evidence that he could
            have been thinking of a pre-tribulation rapture to rescue the saints prior
            to the Antichrist. Rather, I suspect Victorinus refers back to the flight of
            the woman (persecuted Church) in 12.6,14. His comment on 12.6 emphasizes
            withdrawal or removal: "I saw that all men withdrew from his abodes] That
            is, the good will be removed, flying from persecution. But the woman fled
            into the wilderness" (he then cites Lc 21.21, flee to mountains). This
            hardly fits the rapture. It would be interesting to see what latin verbs
            Victorinus uses for "withdraw" and "be removed" (similar to " exierit" in
            comment on 15.1?)

            He continues to explain 12:6,14 as being gathered together in Judea and
            then "go to that place which they have ready" to be nourished three years
            and six months from the presence of the devil. On 12.16 he again says she
            "flees from the face of the serpent". All this seems to explain the original
            quote better than any supposed reference to a pre-trib rapture.

            Dispensationalist TV-evangelist Jack van Impe (from whom I got the
            Victorinus quote) also appeals to Ephraem the Syrian for support, but fails
            to mention that the famous quote is not from Ephraem at all but from
            pseudo-Ephraem.

            Van Impe also cites ambiguous phrases from Hugo Latimer and Joseph Mede,
            which don't come close to being any clear statement of a
            dispensationalist-style pre-Trib rapture. Can anyone comment on the
            eschatology of these two authors?

            Also, can anyone tell me how to access the commentary on Rev by Andrew
            (Andreas) of Cesarea?

            Many thanks!!

            Juan Stam (Costa Rica)
          • Phillip J. Long
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2003
              > Van Impe also cites ambiguous phrases from Hugo Latimer and
              > Joseph Mede, which don't come close to being any clear
              > statement of a dispensationalist-style pre-Trib rapture. Can
              > anyone comment on the eschatology of these two authors?

              I can comment on Mede. He is a proto- premillenialist, in that Christ
              returns at the end of the conflgation at the end the AC's rule,
              establishes the kingdom, then ruls that kingdom from heaven. The obvious
              difference from the modern form of pre-mil that Dispensationalism
              represents is that Christ is not present on earth during the kingdom.

              What Mede teaches concerning the rapture is that there will be a
              "pre-conflagration" catching away of the church prior to the second
              coming, but he does not flesh this out in any way, and is really not a
              pre-trib rapture as VanImpe would teach. Again, I'd call it
              "proto-pre-trib" if I had to. Mede discusses this pre-conflgration
              rapture in his commentary on 2 Peter, using the story of Noah as a text.
              Really it is a mention of a pre-conflagration rapture, and far from a
              discussion.

              Phillip J. Long
              Associate Professor of Bible
              Grace Bible College