References specializing in relationship interpretation

  • the_starkman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      Greetings all,

      I'm new to this board and very impressed with its high standards and
      quality of information. Nice to see this.

      I'm interested in finding commentaries, papers, and related works
      which specialize in a relationship-theology perspective of the book
      of Revelation. By relationship-theology, I mean a perspective of
      which the primary focus of the work (after all is said and done)
      addresses this question: what does the book of revelation ultimately
      have to say about relationship between God and mankind? In other
      words, after considering the Greek behind the text, cultural
      research, and any other pertinent area of scholarship, the
      hermeneutic I believe most intimately accurate and rewarding is the
      focalization focalization of the various ways the text calls for and
      offers restoration of relationship between God and man.

      As a brief example, consider chapter 12. It's immediate context and
      frame of reference is 11:15-19, particulary verse 19--the visibility
      of the Ark of God seen in the temple of God. This is intimate, and
      it speaks of relationship, particulary in regard to the contents of
      chapter 12; the visibility of the Ark--Christ, Himself, the Ark of
      God--calls into remembrance the very work of the Christ: the Man
      Child's accomplishment and God's care for Israel who bore the Christ,
      and that God has never forgotten His love and promises to Israel and
      will avenge her.

      I believe the entire book is rich with this kind of intimacy, and I'd
      like to read the works of those who have followed in this vein.

      Sincerely,

      Keith R. Starkey
    • Juan Stam
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        Greetings, Keith! Welcome to the list and thanks for your message.

        Two sources that have helped me a lot, somewhat in the line you mention
        though not in any technical sense, are:

        1) Hough, special supplement in Interreters' Bible Commentary (at end, after
        the normal exegesis & homiletics)

        2) Eugene Peterson REVERSED THUNDER (Harper 1988)

        I'd be interested to know more about you, where you live, what interesting
        heresies you have to share, etc. As for me, I'm a professor in the
        University of Costa Rica and beginning the third volume of a commentary on
        Rev in Spanish

        best to you

        Juan (Costa Rica)
      • Terry Finley
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002

          Sounds like a neat idea.  I wish you the best and would like to know how it all turns out.

          Terry Finley