Re: [revelation-list] Visions?

  • Greg Carey
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 21, 2002
      On a different track, I'd push for emphasizing the creative, literary, and
      rhetorical dimensions of Revelation. Even if Revelation is a visionary report,
      it is impossible that John records "all that he saw." Every report is framed
      and strategized. So, even if Revelation reports a vision -- and I'm skeptical -
      - it is also a literary production.

      -- Greg
      ------------------------------------
      Greg Carey
      Associate Professor of New Testament
      Lancaster Theological Seminary
      555 W. James St.
      Lancaster, PA 17603
      717/ 290-8753
      gcarey@...
      http://www.lts.org/faculty/carey/carey.html
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 21, 2002
        Steve wrote to Steve about Steve:

        >I agree. My critique of Moore's approach is that the figure "the lamb
        >that was slain" isn't taken seriously enough. This literary character
        >subverts the imperial model of conquest (at least a little bit).

        There is a wide-ranging question here about the 'carry-over' from metaphors,
        raised elsewhere by Steve (not another one!) Moyise in his article 'Does the
        Lion lie down with the Lamb?'

        (Do you HAVE to be called Steve to write about Revelation??)

        But a more obvious difference is that eg Rev 13 presents imperial power as
        totalitarian--its control is absolute and univocal. By contrast, there is an
        openness in the kingdom (basileia, empire) of God and of his Christ. To see
        a good example of this, just look at the phrase 'kings of the earth': Jesus
        is ruler of them (1.5) yet they have committed fornication with Babylon, and
        wail over her fall (ch 17, 18) but despite doing battle against the rider on
        the white horse (19.19) they finally bring their glory into the new
        Jerusalem (21.24).

        This multivocality, openness, presents a strange admixture of judgement and
        hope--something entirely absent from the language of Roman imperial power.

        Ian Paul
      • Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 21, 2002
          Dear Steve,
          I'm not so sure about the value of this proposal for imposing an "either
          literary or vision" dichotomy in Revelation. We've surely all taken note
          of John's familiarity with the imagery of the OT, a familiarity which is so
          deep that images are reused in a manner that they weren't quite in the
          original writings. Could this familiarity not also be expected to have
          affected the writer sub/unconsciously, turning his thoughts/dreams/visions
          into panoplies of biblical imagery, such as we see related in Rev?

          Certainly, in the text as it stands, the reports of these visions are
          literary creations. It's difficult to imagine what else one would call
          instances of writing such as these. However, they do have an origin in the
          writer's thoughts and ideas, whether an original "vision" occurred to him
          or not (or perhaps such thoughts and ideas were actually considered
          "visions"?). If we take as given some original actual dreams/visions, it's
          not surprising that a certain amount of order be imposed by the
          waking/lucid writer upon a dream/vision which would no doubt have been
          indescribable in all its detail. Thus the ostensible report of the vision
          becomes a report of the re-organization of the memory of the vision. I've
          read of a similar process of the entirely unintentional reorganizing of
          memory involving witnesses in legal situations.

          On a related front, is anyone on this list familiar (as I am not) with
          psychological or anthropological work done on vision states? I would think
          that such input would offer a clearer understanding both of the definition
          of vision (which will probably be quite different than current usage), and
          the processes involved in "seeing" a vision and reporting a vision, in a
          society where such is a living practice still integrated in its
          culture. What experiences are considered visions in such a culture? For
          instance would such include all or some of the following: thoughts, ideas,
          flashes of insight, dreams, and waking dreams? Does the visionary's
          account of a vision come afterward to be more organized as time goes
          on? Does that organization take on organizational or other aspects of
          other traditional materials? Are such reports ever eventually collected in
          writing and placed in a literary framework? Who is the primary audience
          for such visions: an inner circle of people able to recognize the imagery,
          or is the audience a wider group who simply holds the visionary in esteem?
          All of these behaviors are certainly likely, but do they occur? I'd
          appreciate any bibliographical input on such matters, as well as any "off
          the top of my head" input from such works.

          Regards,
          Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Berkeley, California

          At 08:38 AM 10/21/2002 -0700, Steve Black wrote, in the "Visions?" thread:
          >Could we perhaps *start* with something like saying that those
          >specific components that are obviously based and modeled upon other
          >literature (OT, etc.) were not thusly (at least as we have them) also
          >based upon direct spiritual visions?
        • Jon Newton
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 21, 2002
            This assumes that John was trying to "undermine the colonial power of Rome",
            which means to some degree reading 21st century ideas into a 1st century
            text.

            On another tack, is there any evidence Revelation was used to defend
            imperial Constantinianism? At least in some cases, it was constantly
            appealed to by those opposed to the established church-state arrangements in
            some way, as I think Cohn's book on medieval millenarianism points out.

            Jon Newton

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 21, 2002
              Steve Black says:

              > My critique of Moore's approach is that the figure "the
              > lamb
              > that was slain" isn't taken seriously enough. This literary
              > character
              > subverts the imperial model of conquest (at least a little bit). The
              > question is if it is enough of a subversion. I think Moore's
              > critique deserves attention even if it is flawed. At the least, it
              > suggests that all theologies of conquest (even if cloaked in modern
              > evangelistic "crusade" terminology) need to be problematized.

              Isn't the theme of "martyrdom" pretty evident throughout Revelation? In
              Revelation 12:11, John even notes that the real way to victory is being
              ready to suffer death for the sake of Christ (like the Lamb died for the
              sake of the Church, so to speak). In fact, it seems to me that a
              "martyr" Christology or mindset is prevalent in the Apocalypse. This
              concept of dying in order to win would certainly run counter to the Roman
              or imperial view of conquest by power, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm seeing
              things a little wrong here, but it certainly was a strong enough theme to
              be a part of my dissertation!

              Sincerely,

              Leo Percer
              Waco, TX

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • David L. Barr
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 22, 2002
                If a non-steve may join the discussion, I want to qualify a point made
                by Steve Friesen. He wrote in part:
                -------------
                I agree that Christianity did become an imperial religion, but it did
                so by adopting part of Rev's model (rather than all of it). Both
                Empire and Rev were utopian projects, but the empire asserted they
                were bringing the divine kingdom into existence while Rev asserted
                that God (not humans) would destroy evil and bring the divine kingdom
                to pass. As orthodox Christianity developed, it moved back to the
                Roman imperial model of asserting that human aggression produces the
                kingdom. So mainstream Christianity accepted Rev's eschatological
                vision, but betrayed Rev's call to suffering, preferring instead to
                inflict suffering.
                ------------------
                I agree with the main point, have vigorously defended it on occasion; I
                even agree with the point that in John's vision God would destroy evil,
                it's the parenthetical I challenge "(not humans)". Humans have their
                role to play ("They have conquered him the the blood of the lamb and by
                the word of their testimony" 12:11). What subsequent readers betrayed
                was the means: consistent resistance. It is rather too easy an out to
                make god responsible for overcoming oppression.

                David

                David L. Barr
                Professor of Religion
                Wright State University
                Dayton OH

                937-775-2293
                937-775-2892 (FAX)
                http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr
              • Steve Black
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 22, 2002
                  Thanks all for an interesting conversation. Many new possibilities
                  that I hadn't considered have been suggested, for which I am grateful.

                  Jon Newton wrote...
                  >This assumes that John was trying to "undermine the colonial power of Rome",
                  >which means to some degree reading 21st century ideas into a 1st century
                  >text.

                  Isn't it inevitable that we bring 21st century ideas into the 1st
                  century? We can not think other than as 21st century people. As much
                  as we might try to "get into the minds of a 1st century person", but
                  we can only do so from our perspective. We only understand history
                  within the strange combination of the familiar (what reminds us of
                  something we know in our lives) and the unfamiliar (that which is
                  truly "other" and from our point of view often "weird" or "strange").

                  Certainly the role that imperial Rome played was something that the
                  writers of the NT must have thought about. It was a pressing reality
                  of their time - how could they not? Much might have happened on a
                  unconscious level. I want to know if Rev engaged in a strategy of
                  resistance (which I suspect he did), but if he did not, then the
                  other options are complicity or collaboration. Either of these
                  options should then could be looked at. Political neutrality is a
                  non-existent reality, and so John had SOME (thought through or not)
                  approach to imperial power.

                  --
                  Steve Black
                  Vancouver School of Theology
                  Vancouver, BC
                  ---

                  Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand...

                  -Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS
                • Gareth Powell
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 22, 2002
                    Re: [revelation-list] Visions? On 22/10/02 12:51 pm, "David L. Barr" <david.barr@...> wrote:

                    > If a non-steve may join the discussion, I want to qualify a point made
                    > by Steve Friesen.  He wrote in part:
                    > -------------
                    > I agree that Christianity did become an imperial religion, but it did
                    > so by adopting part of Rev's model (rather than all of it).  Both
                    > Empire and Rev were utopian projects, but the empire asserted they
                    > were bringing the divine kingdom into existence while Rev asserted
                    > that God (not humans) would destroy evil and bring the divine kingdom
                    > to pass.  As orthodox Christianity developed, it moved back to the
                    > Roman imperial model of asserting that human aggression produces the
                    > kingdom.  So mainstream Christianity accepted Rev's eschatological
                    > vision, but betrayed Rev's call to suffering, preferring instead to
                    > inflict suffering.
                    > ------------------
                    > I agree with the main point, have vigorously defended it on occasion; I
                    > even agree with the point that in John's vision God would destroy evil,
                    > it's the parenthetical I challenge "(not humans)".  Humans have their
                    > role to play ("They have conquered him the the blood of the lamb and by
                    > the word of their testimony" 12:11).  What subsequent readers betrayed
                    > was the means: consistent resistance.  It is rather too easy an out to
                    > make god responsible for overcoming oppression.
                    >
                    > David
                    >
                    > David L. Barr
                    > Professor of Religion
                    > Wright State University
                    > Dayton OH

                    David,
                    Thanks for you pertinent comment.  I was wondering which sources you used that Christianity has used the ‘Babylon’ method to establish its eschatological Kingdom.  I am particularly interested in the present day context with regard to Capitalism and Globalisation, which both strike me as bringing about a utopian dream for the rich West whilst inflicting suffering and poverty on those they are exploiting in mainly Non-Western countries.  Unveiling Empire is the most obvious place I have found this kind of recontextualisation of Revelations image of two cities, but if you have other sources in mind, either looking at historical events of the last few hundred years using Revelations images of empire as an interpretive strategy I would love to hear of them.

                    I agree whole heartily that we as humans have our part to play in bringing in the kingdom of God here on earth and would use the two cities of the New Jerusalem and Babylon as images of two entirely different approaches to creating a Kingdom.  One which exploits and gains most for those who are rich and powerful (Babylon), the other which seeks to create equality, respect of both creation and humanity within that creation, as well as true worship (New Jerusalem).  I think both of these images are the climax of John’s prophetic critique of the Roman Empire and his vision of an alternate ‘Empire’.  We are Christians are called to bring about the second city and community, that of the New Jerusalem.  How we are to do this lies in Revelations pneumatology which I believe centres around the life giving qualities of the holy Spirit which orientates our lives and Christian communities to mirror that ‘heavenly’ community we see in the New Jerusalem.  The work of the Spirit is transformational and life-giving, as well as prophetic, each of which involves the individual, as well as the corporate to make life-giving decisions and live life-giving lifestyles with regard to the whole of creation – not just humanity.

                    Regards
                    Gareth Powell
                    London Bible College
                    England
                  • Leo R Percer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 22, 2002
                      Non-Steve and respected scholar David Barr said:

                      > I agree with the main point, have vigorously defended it on

                      occasion; I
                      > even agree with the point that in John's vision God would
                      destroy
                      > evil,
                      > it's the parenthetical I challenge "(not
                      humans)".  Humans have
                      > their
                      > role to play ("They have
                      conquered him the the blood of the lamb and
                      > by
                      > the word of
                      their testimony" 12:11).  What subsequent readers
                      > betrayed

                      was the means: consistent resistance.  It is rather too easy an out
                      > make god responsible for overcoming oppression.

                      I basically agree with David here, so I'm not offering a criticism except to say that Revelation 12:11 includes another sentence fragment that makes the first two portions explicit in how "humans" can play a role in victory over the dragon.  The fragment is "For they loved not their lives even to death."  In other words, humans bear "testimony" (marturias) to the Lamb's sacrifice by following his example.  It seems to me that John describes the path to victory as one of martyrdom or self-sacrifice.  Just like the "dragon" couldn't destroy the Lamb with the cross (the ultimate place of self-sacrifice), even so (according to John) Babylon and other "dragon" associated entities will not be able to overcome the witnesses (or "martyrs") of the Lamb as they follow his example.  Well, that's how I see it at any rate.

                      Leo Percer
                      Waco, TX

                    • Lastday
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 23, 2002
                        Dear Mr. Percer:

                        Do you see the martyrs' "path to victory" over Satan (by not loving their corporate life unto death) being inspired by the knowledge that "NOW has become the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ ... because the accuser of our brethren before God was cast" by Michael from heaven to earth?

                        May the timing for this corporate victory be set in the same eschatological context of a "short period" that Daniel similarly describes as taking place at the "end of time" when Michael casts Satan from heaven for a period of 3 1/2 times? Is not this "end of time" period when Christ comes with the Saints to "give the kingdom to the people of the Saints"? Dan.12:1,4,7; Dan.7:22-27; Rev.12:10,12,14.

                        I find it very intriguing that the Mighty Angel swore to John that the end of "chronos-time will occur when the 7th trumpet is about to sound," and did so in the name of the one who lives forever. For so did the man who swore to Daniel regarding the 3 1/2 appointed kairoi-times at the end (LXX). Rev.10:6,7. The "kairoi times" of Luke 21:24 and Rev.12:14 cease when the Lamb appears with all the Saints to destroy the Beast and Ten Kings who make war against Him. Dan.12:7; Dan.7:25-27; Rev.17:14. Mel Miller

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 23, 2002
                          Message
                          Leo
                              Exactly so, though I suspect that they way these terms ("testimony" "sacrifice" "cross") have become religious terms connoting a certain kind of piety hides what is required of us, which I take it to be more akin to what that Chinese student did who stood in front of the tank, refusing to let it pass without running over him.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 23, 2002
                            Message
                            David:

                            What can I say to your brief response below but "Amen"?

                            Leo Percer
                            Waco, TX

                            P.S.--I want also to say "Thanks" to you for your articles and other materials on Revelation that showed up so prominently in several places in my dissertation.  May God continue to bless your work.