RE: [revelation-list] Textbook for master's level course in jewish apocalyptic literature

  • David L. Barr
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
      Jean-Pierre,
      I too thought "Imagination" was back in print, but you might
      also take at look at these:

      Collins, John J., Bernard McGinn, and Steven J. Stein, eds. The Origins
      of Apocalypticism in Judaism and Christianity, Vol. 1. Continuum
      Publishing Company, 2000.
      -an anthology but with some very good essays.

      Bockmuehl, Markus. Revelation and Mystery in Ancient Judaism and Pauline
      Christianity. Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 1997.
      -Probably not the main text, but very good at situating
      Apocalypticism in the contexts of revelation and mystery in a setting
      where the god does not seem to be in-charge.

      Collins, John J. Seers, Sibyls and Sages in Hellenistic-Roman Judaism.
      Leiden: Brill, 1997.
      -a nice overview with a broad range.

      Enjoy,
      David
      David L. Barr
      Professor of Religion
      Wright State University
      Dayton OH

      937-775-2293
      937-775-2707 (FAX)
      http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
        David,

        Further hunting has confirmed my suspicion that "Imagination" is still
        available, and that it was only the lack of imagination (and energy) on the
        part of our bookstore folks that has prevented them from acquiring it.

        Thanks!

        Jean-Pierre

        Jean-Pierre Ruiz
        Associate Professor and Chair
        Department of Theology & Religious Studies
        St. John's University
        8000 Utopia Parkway
        Jamaica, NY 11439
        Voice: 718.990.6467