Textbook for master's level course in jewish apocalyptic literature

  • jhlteditorinchief
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2002
      Colleagues:

      I am seeking a textbook to assign for a master's level graduate
      course in jewish apocalyptic literature. I had intended to use John
      J. Collins, _The Apocalyptic Imagination_ but was told by the campus
      bookstore manager that they are having trouble obtaining it. Any
      sugggestions for something current that would approximate Collins?

      Thanks!

      Jean-Pierre Ruiz
      Department of Theology & Religious Studies
      St. John's University, New York
    • Paul Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2002
        Dear Jean-Pierre,

        I just found Collins' book for sale on Jeffery Ball's website (dovenews@...); hope that is helpful.

        All the best!

        Paul Anderson

        Colleagues:

        I am seeking a textbook to assign for a master's level graduate
        course in jewish apocalyptic literature. I had intended to use John
        J. Collins, _The Apocalyptic Imagination_ but was told by the campus
        bookstore manager that they are having trouble obtaining it. Any
        sugggestions for something current that would approximate Collins?

        Thanks!

        Jean-Pierre Ruiz
        Department of Theology & Religious Studies
        St. John's University, New York

        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/J2VolB/TM
      • epe villefontaine
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
          No suggestions, but Collins' book seems available (it has been reissued by
          Eerdmans recently). I just received this morning the following informations
          from Dove Booksellers :
          Dove Booksellers
          Scholarly Books for Biblical Studies

          ----

          Dove News: Internet Notification Service
          Helping to keep customers informed of new books, new services, and money
          saving opportunities

          ----

          If you are connected to the internet, simply click on View Cover if
          available to see the cover artwork, or Order to order through our website!
          You can go back and forth between your browser and your mail window!
          When TWO prices appear below, the first is the publisher's list price, the
          second is the DOVE price!

          ----

          Other Biblical Resource volumes available!

          ----

          Released 2001!
          Hays, Richard B The Faith of Jesus Christ: The Narrative Substructure of
          Galatians 3:1-4:11 (2nd Ed) (Dove-Eerdmans) Paperback $25.00 $16.99 Order
          View Cover

          ----

          Collins, John J Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish
          Apocalyptic Literature 2nd Edition (Dove-Eerdmans) Paperback $30.00 $19.99
          Order
          View Cover

          > I am seeking a textbook to assign for a master's level graduate
          > course in jewish apocalyptic literature. I had intended to use John
          > J. Collins, _The Apocalyptic Imagination_ but was told by the campus
          > bookstore manager that they are having trouble obtaining it. Any
          > sugggestions for something current that would approximate Collins?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jean-Pierre Ruiz
          > Department of Theology & Religious Studies
          > St. John's University, New York

        • David L. Barr
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
            Jean-Pierre,
            I too thought "Imagination" was back in print, but you might
            also take at look at these:

            Collins, John J., Bernard McGinn, and Steven J. Stein, eds. The Origins
            of Apocalypticism in Judaism and Christianity, Vol. 1. Continuum
            Publishing Company, 2000.
            -an anthology but with some very good essays.

            Bockmuehl, Markus. Revelation and Mystery in Ancient Judaism and Pauline
            Christianity. Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 1997.
            -Probably not the main text, but very good at situating
            Apocalypticism in the contexts of revelation and mystery in a setting
            where the god does not seem to be in-charge.

            Collins, John J. Seers, Sibyls and Sages in Hellenistic-Roman Judaism.
            Leiden: Brill, 1997.
            -a nice overview with a broad range.

            Enjoy,
            David
            David L. Barr
            Professor of Religion
            Wright State University
            Dayton OH

            937-775-2293
            937-775-2707 (FAX)
            http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

            I am seeking a textbook to assign for a master's level graduate
            course in jewish apocalyptic literature. I had intended to use John
            J. Collins, _The Apocalyptic Imagination_ but was told by the campus
            bookstore manager that they are having trouble obtaining it. Any
            sugggestions for something current that would approximate Collins?

            Thanks!

            Jean-Pierre Ruiz
            Department of Theology & Religious Studies
            St. John's University, New York

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • ruizj@stjohns.edu
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
              David,

              Further hunting has confirmed my suspicion that "Imagination" is still
              available, and that it was only the lack of imagination (and energy) on the
              part of our bookstore folks that has prevented them from acquiring it.

              Thanks!

              Jean-Pierre

              Jean-Pierre Ruiz
              Associate Professor and Chair
              Department of Theology & Religious Studies
              St. John's University
              8000 Utopia Parkway
              Jamaica, NY 11439
              Voice: 718.990.6467