Re: Wealth in the Apocalypse

  • Dave Mathewson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2002
      I doubt that Gundry is correct in seeing the precious stones as the material
      compensation of the saints. (Similarly, see also the relevant sections in
      J. Vogelgesang, 'The Interpretation of Ezekiel in the Book of Revelation'
      [Ph.D. Thesis, Harvard University, 1985]). It seems to me that even the
      precious stones are primarily meant to symbolize (at least in part, not
      forgetting the polyvalent nature of apocalpytic symbolism) the people of God
      themselves. The tribes of Israel and the twelve apostles are already
      identified with precious stones (gates of pearl and foundations
      respectively; 21.12-14, 19-20), reflecting a common early Christian
      interpretation (cf. Gal 2.9; Eph 2.20; 1 Pet 2.4-8; Herm., Vis. 3.5). For a
      similar interpretation of Isa 54.11-12 see 4QpIsa which identifies the
      various lithic features of the restored Jerusalem (temple) as founding
      members of the community. Cf. also J. M. Ford, 'The Heavenly Jerusalem and
      Orthodox Judaism', in Donum gentilicium (ed. E. Bammel et al; Oxford, 1978)
      215-26; idem, 'The Jewel of Discernment (A Study of Stone Symbolism)', BZ NF
      11 (1967): 109-16 for other Jewish texts.

      Dave Mathewson