A Question of Roman Law

  • kymhsm
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2002
      Dear all,

      I wonder if anyone on the list could direct me to some reference
      that deals with the change in conditions upon the death of a
      Caesar. In the context of this list, my interest is particularly
      concerned with the release of John from Patmos `after the death
      of the tyrant' as per Eusebius. I am wondering if there was a
      general release of prisoners, exiles or whatever on the death of
      the Caesar? Did sentences imposed during the reign of one
      Caesar - even if it was not Caesar himself who imposed them -
      expire upon his death? Was there no such rule at all? I am sure I
      have heard/read of it before and should have researched it
      earlier than this.

      Thanks,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide