Re: [revelation-list] wealth and the Apocalypse

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2002
      Perhaps you would find interesting material for comparison in
      Wealth in the Dead Sea Scrolls and in the Qumran Community
      Catherine M. Murphy
      STDJ 40
      Leiden: Brill, 2002

      Stephen Goranson
      goranson@...
    • Gareth Powell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2002
        Re: [revelation-list] wealth and the Apocalypse
        Phil,

        Whilst I agree that the NJ is representative of the people of God, I think that this limits the rich symbolism the NJ contains.  It misses altogether the redemptive power of the slain Lamb for the whole of creation, nor does it consider the symbolic reversal from Babylon to the NJ.

        Very few scholars seem to recognise the importance of the redemption of creation in Revelation, and miss the vital link between the judgements on Babylon in Ch. 16 which not only effect Babylon, but also severely damage the creation.  Whilst this interpretation does rely on more liberational approaches to the text, it does render the texts as pertinent for the ecological crisis we find ourselves in today.  More explicitly it allows us top see that creation and humanity are not separate, both are ‘fallen’, and both are in need of redemption, and humanity in its rebellion against God does cause only suffering to itself but also its habitation.

        Gareth Powell

        I think that Robert Gundry has made a persuasive argument for the New Jerusalem as representative of the people of God.  After all, the angel identifies the city as "the bride, the wife of the Lamb" (21.9 NRSV).  If you consider the connection of the number symbolism with the 144,000 in chs. 7 and 14 as Gundry does, the image becomes clear.
        As for the jewels of the New Jerusalem, a quite common interpretation seems to be their connection to the 12 stones found in the breast piece of the High Priest.  See the commentaries by Beale, NIGTC, 411-12; 1080ff and F. J. Murphy, "Fallen is Babylon," 420-21 for some discussion here.  R. H. Charles notes that the twelve stones of Rev 21 are each associated with the signs of the Zodiac (Charles, 2:167-68), albeit in reverse order according to John's list.  Murphy argues that John sees wealth as negative because of Rome's exploitive use of it but does not see it as evil in itself.  As it relates to the people of God, it is "pure and proper" (421).

        Hope this helps.

        Phil Mayo
        Philip L. Mayo
        Adjunct Faculty