RE: [revelation-list] New Member Questions on the Spirit in Rev.

  • David L. Barr
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 8, 2002
      Message

      Gareth,

                  I am not aware of much else than the articles you mention, but see:

      Jeske, Richard. "Spirit and Community in the Johannine Apocalypse." NTS 31, no. 3 (1985): 452-66.

      Burge, Gary M. The Anointed Community: The Holy Spirit in the Johannine Tradition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1987.

      In addition, some of the recent work on spirit possession in a wider context might prove interesting:

      Goodman, Felicitas D. Where the Spirits Ride The Wind: Trance Journeys and Other Ecstatic Experiences. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1990.

      Culianu, Ioan P. Out of This World:  Otherworldly Journeys From Gilgamesh to Albert Einstein. Boston: Shambhala, 1991.

      Torrance, Robert M. The Spiritual Quest:  Transcendence in Myth, Religion, and Science. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994.

      Smith, Frederick M. "The Current State of Possession Studies As a Cross-Disciplinary Project." Religious Studies Review 27, no. 3 (2001): 203-12.

      Mayaram, Shail. "Recent Anthropological Works on Spirit Possession." Religious Studies Review 27, no. 2 (July 2001): 213-22.

      Finally, Leonard Thompson recently wrote an article for a book I am editing:

      “Spirit Possession:  Revelation In Religious Studies,” in a forthcoming book from Scholars Press.

      Best wishes for the development of your thesis.

      David L. Barr

      -----Original Message-----[David L. Barr] excerpted
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 12, 2003
        Sorry, Georg and others. I didn't think of this restriction.

        Greg

        Dr G. J. Clarke
        Ph.D., University of Sydney
        Editor, Matthias Media
        Ph. 61 2 9663 1478. Fax. 61 2 9663 3265.
        Email. gjclarke@...