RE: [revelation-list] Revelation 1:10

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5 8:00 AM
      Thank you.

      Ed
      Kansas

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Georg S. Adamsen [mailto:gsa@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:42 AM
      To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: SV: [revelation-list] Revelation 1:10

      Yes, and no. I think that semantically 'the day of the Lord' and 'the Lord's
      day' may be quite similar. However, the very reason that John did not use
      'the day of the Lord' (HMERA TOU KURIOU) suggests to me that he consciously
      avoided this phrase because it would be taken to mean 'the Day of YHWH'.
      Especially because the context uses some epithets which refer to the coming
      God. However, I also think that he consciously chose H KURIAKH HMERA because
      it is ambiguous. Does it refer to the Day when the Lord was raised or to the
      Lord's day, i.e. the Day where he and his Father will come (cf., e.g.,
      11,15-18)? The former might refer to the day where John received his
      vision(s); the latter might allude to what happens in the visions.

      Georg S. Adamsen
      LSTA

    • Ralph Korner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5 7:40 PM
        Hi Georg,

        A useful article on the question of the meaning of H KURIAKH HMERA in Rev
        1:10 is found in NovT 43/3 (2001) 205-23: "The Use of Sunday for Meetings of
        Believers in the New Testament" by S. R. Llewelyn. He provides a concise
        survey of the options but personally prefers seeing Rev 1:10 as a reference
        to the time when the seer had his spiritual experience, namely Sunday.

        Blessings,

        Ralph J. Korner
        Campus Pastor
        Taylor University College