Revelation 1:10

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
      I know that this is not a translation site but please humor me. But in terms
      of translation can Revelation 1:10 be translated as "the day of the Lord"? I
      do not understand it that way myself. But just wanted some input. Thank you.

      Ed
      Kansas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
        Yes, and no. I think that semantically 'the day of the Lord' and 'the Lord's
        day' may be quite similar. However, the very reason that John did not use
        'the day of the Lord' (HMERA TOU KURIOU) suggests to me that he consciously
        avoided this phrase because it would be taken to mean 'the Day of YHWH'.
        Especially because the context uses some epithets which refer to the coming
        God. However, I also think that he consciously chose H KURIAKH HMERA because
        it is ambiguous. Does it refer to the Day when the Lord was raised or to the
        Lord's day, i.e. the Day where he and his Father will come (cf., e.g.,
        11,15-18)? The former might refer to the day where John received his
        vision(s); the latter might allude to what happens in the visions.

        Georg S. Adamsen
        LSTA

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
          Thank you.

          Ed
          Kansas

          Yes, and no. I think that semantically 'the day of the Lord' and 'the Lord's
          day' may be quite similar. However, the very reason that John did not use
          'the day of the Lord' (HMERA TOU KURIOU) suggests to me that he consciously
          avoided this phrase because it would be taken to mean 'the Day of YHWH'.
          Especially because the context uses some epithets which refer to the coming
          God. However, I also think that he consciously chose H KURIAKH HMERA because
          it is ambiguous. Does it refer to the Day when the Lord was raised or to the
          Lord's day, i.e. the Day where he and his Father will come (cf., e.g.,
          11,15-18)? The former might refer to the day where John received his
          vision(s); the latter might allude to what happens in the visions.

          Georg S. Adamsen
          LSTA

        • Ralph Korner
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
            Hi Georg,

            A useful article on the question of the meaning of H KURIAKH HMERA in Rev
            1:10 is found in NovT 43/3 (2001) 205-23: "The Use of Sunday for Meetings of
            Believers in the New Testament" by S. R. Llewelyn. He provides a concise
            survey of the options but personally prefers seeing Rev 1:10 as a reference
            to the time when the seer had his spiritual experience, namely Sunday.

            Blessings,

            Ralph J. Korner
            Campus Pastor
            Taylor University College