RE: [revelation-list] Primary Message of Revelation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi Ed,

      If you want to take a look at my view on the primary message of
      Revelation, you might go to
      http://www.book-of-revelation.com/abstract/adamsen.html.

      It is an endeavour to make sense of, among many others, the references
      to the parousia in Rev 1,7; 22:7.12.20 and several passages in the seven
      messages. In Revelation, the gospel is primarily a gospel of the Day of
      the Lord, as 14,6-8.

      Georg

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • David L. Barr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
        Ed,
        On this we quite agree, although I am not comfortable with
        language about "a primary message" since it seems to suggest an
        exclusively informational function. But perhaps you'd meet me half-way
        and talk about the content of the story? This is the language I use in
        the introduction to my *Tales*. I would also stress that we have the
        gospel story but not the gospel form; rather we have the story of Jesus
        in the form of a symbolic vision report (which is why we often fail to
        recognize the underlying story).
        As to the language, I would argue that it is heavily
        performative rather than informational (and I do in the epilogue to
        *Tales* :-))

        David
        (Can you tell this is exam week here? Any excuse to interrupt my
        reading!)
        David L. Barr
        Professor of Religion
        Wright State University
        Dayton OH

        937-775-2293
        937-775-2707 (FAX)
        http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

        Is there a primary message of Revelation? My own belief is that the book
        of Revelation tells the story of the gospel. It is in essence a fifth
        gospel. Revelation tells the story of the gospel but it also gives us
        ehind the scenes look at the ramifications of Jesus'death, burial and
        resurrection. Any thoughts?

        Ed
        Kansas

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
          Thank you. I'll do so.

          If you want to take a look at my view on the primary message of
          Revelation, you might go to
          http://www.book-of-revelation.com/abstract/adamsen.html.

          It is an endeavour to make sense of, among many others, the references
          to the parousia in Rev 1,7; 22:7.12.20 and several passages in the seven
          messages. In Revelation, the gospel is primarily a gospel of the Day of
          the Lord, as 14,6-8.

          Georg

        • Lastday
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
            Hi Ed,
            The idea expressed by Georg as to Revelation's primary message admirably
            focuses on what God reveals about the "good news" of Christ's Second
            Coming. Georg points to this by referencing the "eternal gospel"
            concerning the Hour of God's Judgment (14:6,7) which includes the final
            destruction of Great Babylon, (vs.8) the mixing of God's anger (thumos)
            in His Cup of Wrath (orgay) with Hell as the destiny of all who worship
            the Beast (9-11). The Son of Man also reaps and 3 angels assist in
            collecting the wicked so as to fill the "winepress of His great anger
            (thumos; not orgay; vs.14-19). We note this "Hour of Judgment" appears
            in the same context as the "Hour to Reap" (Greek; vs.15). The reaping is
            a symbolic act because the "treading of the winepress," while
            anticipated in verse 20, actually occurs at Christ's descent from heaven
            following the Three-Act Drama in heaven's open Temple. That Drama cannot
            occur until the Last Plague empties. Rev.15:5,8; Rev.11:19.

            Revelation presents two main themes. One prepares Endtime Saints (over a
            period of 42 months) to be worthy of the Kingdom which they and even
            Satan will "know" is about to be established on earth. Mt.24:33;
            Rev.12:12-14.

            The other reveals the 1260-day Endtime conflict between God and Satan
            climaxes with events of the Lastday found in 100 verses of Revelation.
            These events occur within three days after the Two Prophets complete
            their Endtime task of displaying God's Kingdom Power. The 100 verses are
            fulfilled on the 12-Hour Day of Christ's appearance to destroy Babylon
            and its global support system of the nations' cities and to cast Satan
            to the Abyss and the two Beasts to Hell.

            All of their armies are literally gathered in Rev.16:12-17 (Sixth
            Plague) just prior to the Sign of the Day of God's and the Lamb's Wrath
            which immediately occurs in Rev.6:12-17 (Sixth Seal). Both texts precede
            the symbolic "reaping" in Rev.14:14-19 to the "winepress of God's great
            anger." The Hour of Judgment awaits the "treading of His anger and
            wrath" anticipated in Rev.14:7,10,20 and fulfilled in Rev.19:15. God's
            anger mixes with His wrath during the Court Scene of Seal Seven.
            Rev.8:1-5; Dan.7:9-22. Then the 7th Trumpet sounds and Christ comes with
            all the Saints to bring His kingdom "to His people on earth...where
            overcomers will rule the nations with an iron rod." Rev.11:15-19;
            Dan.7:23-27; Rev.2:25,26.
            Mel Miller