Primary Message of Revelation

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2002
      Is there a primary message of Revelation? My own belief is that the book of
      Revelation tells the story of the gospel. It is in essence a fifth gospel.
      Revelation tells the story of the gospel but it also gives us ehind the
      scenes look at the ramifications of Jesus'death, burial and resurrection.
      Any thoughts?

      Ed
      Kansas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
        Hi Ed,

        If you want to take a look at my view on the primary message of
        Revelation, you might go to
        http://www.book-of-revelation.com/abstract/adamsen.html.

        It is an endeavour to make sense of, among many others, the references
        to the parousia in Rev 1,7; 22:7.12.20 and several passages in the seven
        messages. In Revelation, the gospel is primarily a gospel of the Day of
        the Lord, as 14,6-8.

        Georg

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • David L. Barr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
          Ed,
          On this we quite agree, although I am not comfortable with
          language about "a primary message" since it seems to suggest an
          exclusively informational function. But perhaps you'd meet me half-way
          and talk about the content of the story? This is the language I use in
          the introduction to my *Tales*. I would also stress that we have the
          gospel story but not the gospel form; rather we have the story of Jesus
          in the form of a symbolic vision report (which is why we often fail to
          recognize the underlying story).
          As to the language, I would argue that it is heavily
          performative rather than informational (and I do in the epilogue to
          *Tales* :-))

          David
          (Can you tell this is exam week here? Any excuse to interrupt my
          reading!)
          David L. Barr
          Professor of Religion
          Wright State University
          Dayton OH

          937-775-2293
          937-775-2707 (FAX)
          http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

          Is there a primary message of Revelation? My own belief is that the book
          of Revelation tells the story of the gospel. It is in essence a fifth
          gospel. Revelation tells the story of the gospel but it also gives us
          ehind the scenes look at the ramifications of Jesus'death, burial and
          resurrection. Any thoughts?

          Ed
          Kansas

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
            Thank you. I'll do so.

            If you want to take a look at my view on the primary message of
            Revelation, you might go to
            http://www.book-of-revelation.com/abstract/adamsen.html.

            It is an endeavour to make sense of, among many others, the references
            to the parousia in Rev 1,7; 22:7.12.20 and several passages in the seven
            messages. In Revelation, the gospel is primarily a gospel of the Day of
            the Lord, as 14,6-8.

            Georg

          • Lastday
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
              Hi Ed,
              The idea expressed by Georg as to Revelation's primary message admirably
              focuses on what God reveals about the "good news" of Christ's Second
              Coming. Georg points to this by referencing the "eternal gospel"
              concerning the Hour of God's Judgment (14:6,7) which includes the final
              destruction of Great Babylon, (vs.8) the mixing of God's anger (thumos)
              in His Cup of Wrath (orgay) with Hell as the destiny of all who worship
              the Beast (9-11). The Son of Man also reaps and 3 angels assist in
              collecting the wicked so as to fill the "winepress of His great anger
              (thumos; not orgay; vs.14-19). We note this "Hour of Judgment" appears
              in the same context as the "Hour to Reap" (Greek; vs.15). The reaping is
              a symbolic act because the "treading of the winepress," while
              anticipated in verse 20, actually occurs at Christ's descent from heaven
              following the Three-Act Drama in heaven's open Temple. That Drama cannot
              occur until the Last Plague empties. Rev.15:5,8; Rev.11:19.

              Revelation presents two main themes. One prepares Endtime Saints (over a
              period of 42 months) to be worthy of the Kingdom which they and even
              Satan will "know" is about to be established on earth. Mt.24:33;
              Rev.12:12-14.

              The other reveals the 1260-day Endtime conflict between God and Satan
              climaxes with events of the Lastday found in 100 verses of Revelation.
              These events occur within three days after the Two Prophets complete
              their Endtime task of displaying God's Kingdom Power. The 100 verses are
              fulfilled on the 12-Hour Day of Christ's appearance to destroy Babylon
              and its global support system of the nations' cities and to cast Satan
              to the Abyss and the two Beasts to Hell.

              All of their armies are literally gathered in Rev.16:12-17 (Sixth
              Plague) just prior to the Sign of the Day of God's and the Lamb's Wrath
              which immediately occurs in Rev.6:12-17 (Sixth Seal). Both texts precede
              the symbolic "reaping" in Rev.14:14-19 to the "winepress of God's great
              anger." The Hour of Judgment awaits the "treading of His anger and
              wrath" anticipated in Rev.14:7,10,20 and fulfilled in Rev.19:15. God's
              anger mixes with His wrath during the Court Scene of Seal Seven.
              Rev.8:1-5; Dan.7:9-22. Then the 7th Trumpet sounds and Christ comes with
              all the Saints to bring His kingdom "to His people on earth...where
              overcomers will rule the nations with an iron rod." Rev.11:15-19;
              Dan.7:23-27; Rev.2:25,26.
              Mel Miller