Re: Identification of first horseman (Was: Web site has moved)

  • Ken Flowers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2002
      I find it more helpful to think of each passage as being evocative rather
      than indicative. This style of using references is, like modern parody,
      meant to remind us of a theme rather than draw precise analogies. A
      contemporary reader/hearer would have been familiar with both the messianic
      references and the Apollo myth. The author would have know that innately,
      in the same way that I know if I write "where's the beef" that no one
      thinks I'm talking about meat.

      My basic point is, I don't think we need to choose between Lamentations,
      Psalms or the Apollo myth. We can accept that there is a flavor of them
      all "evoked" by the text, and rather ask, "so what does that mean about the
      rider?"

      Ken Flowers
      Lexington, MA