Re: Mark of the Beast?

  • kymhsm
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2002
      Dear David,

      Thank you for your response. My response, in return, is a double
      one. Firstly, I felt somewhat chastened. As I was writing I had in
      mind the sealing of the Spirit of which the mark of the Beast is
      obviously a counterfeit:
      "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, till we have sealed
      the servants of our God on their foreheads" (Rev 7:3)
      But in my haste I did not include it. So thank you for your clear
      and, I think, correct explanation of the mark of the Beast.

      Secondly, however, I do not see myself as one of <<those who
      torture logic to apply Revelation to some supposed current
      event>>. Because I see the Revelation as (at least)
      double-layered, intended for the Church in Nero's time and for
      the Church which will ultimately face the end (as I think much if
      not most of OT prophecy is double layered with the renewal of
      Israel often referring to the Church), then I also think that there
      are parts of it yet to be played out.

      I have no interest in trying to interpret every current event, but we
      are called to be watchful. It is important that we are aware of the
      spirit of our age and, ineveitably, there will aso be some 'events'
      that are also significant. I was guilty of drawing an association
      between Sept 11 with Rev 18 but only in the sense that it serves
      as a reminder for us to be ever vigil.

      While I have expressed agreement with your understanding of
      the 'mark' above, with Ed, I do suspect that eventually the 'mark'
      will have a much more tangible and immediate impact on the
      faithful. The 'seal' prohibited (and prohibits) the believers from
      engaging in certain practices of the world because of their/our
      identification with Christ. The 'mark' , however, appears to be an
      offensive of the Beast to isolate the faithful in a way that I think we
      are yet to encounter. I may be wrong but that is the way I see it.

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide
      South Australia
      khs@...
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30, 2002
        >Any thoughts out there on the bow held by the 1st horseman? Chilton has
        some
        >interesting insights.

        I was persuaded by Allan Kerkeslager's argument that it was an image of
        Apollo representing false religion. The symbolism works and it fits better
        with the other three horsemen as a sequence (in contrast to traditional
        interpretations of it as a proleptic vision of Christ.)

        Revd Dr Ian Paul 32 Penn Hill Avenue, Poole, Dorset BH14 9LZ
        01202 745963 fax 01202 385539
        Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd, Ridley Hall Road, Cambridge CB3 9HU
        01223 464748 fax 01223 464849
        http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
      • Don K
        Message 3 of 14 , May 30, 2002
          It seems to me that a better suggestion is to be found in Psalms 45:3-5,
          where the avenging Jehovah "fairer than the sons of men" is called to Gird a
          sword on your thigh O Mighty One With yo9ur glory and majesty And in your
          majesty ride prosperously because of truth, humility, and righteousness, and
          Your right hand shall teach You awesome things Your arrows are sharp in the
          heart fo the King's enemies."
          In the verses that follow we find the famous passage cited in Hebrews 1:8f
          concerning the enthronement of the Messiah, Jesus.
          Furthermore, in the Psalm, we find so many of the elements and themes
          prevalent in the Apocalypse:
          A conquering rider, with the sword of Jehovah on his thigh. (cf. 19:15, the
          sword coming out of the mouth of the rider)
          The righteousness of the rider asserted and emphasized.
          The rider with arrows (i.e. the bow) to use against the enemies of
          righteousness.
          The rider identified as the Mighty One, (El Shaddai, can someone confirm the
          Hebrew on this?), and of course, in the Apocalypse, the rider in chapter 19
          is "the pantokratoros," (cf. 1:7-8), and King of kings.
          It is also distinctly possible that Lamentations 2:4 is echoed in the
          Apocalypse: "Standing like an enemy, He has bent His bow, with His right
          hand like an adversary. He has slain all who were pleasing in His sight".
          Since the Apocalypse is certainly about the judgment of the city "where the
          Lord was slain" (11:8), it would be natural for a good "Jewish" author to
          call the Lament to mind as he considered the impending catastrophe.
          To me, these links are persuasive, and more congruent than an identification
          with the Apollo myth.
          Don K