Web site has moved

    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2002
      Dear list members

      Revelation Resources has been moved to

      http://www.book-of-revelation.com

      Please, update your bookmarks, web references etc. However, SunSITE.dk
      will redirect browsers to the new site (for some time, at least).

      My personal web pages have been moved to

      http://www.book-of-revelation.com/~gadamsen/

      Georg S. Adamsen
      LSTA
    • Moriah Plastics
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2002
        Any thoughts out there on the bow held by the 1st horseman? Chilton has some
        interesting insights.
        > Please, update your bookmarks, web references etc. However, SunSITE.dk
        > will redirect browsers to the new site (for some time, at least).
        >
        > My personal web pages have been moved to
        >
        > http://www.book-of-revelation.com/~gadamsen/
        >

        > Georg S. Adamsen
        > LSTA

      • Paul Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2002
          Dear colleagues,

          What are the latest specific theories rooted in historical or
          archaeological evidence about what the "mark of the beast" may have been
          within the late first-century setting of the Roman Empire? And what is
          made of its being displayed on one's right hand or forehead (Rev.
          13:16-17)?

          Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know.

          Paul Anderson
        • kymhsm
          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2002
            Dear Paul,

            I am not sure that my scribblings fit with <<<latest specific
            theories>>>, but I have included an excerpt from my book,
            `Redating the Revelation and…', which is part of a response to
            the issue of emperor worship and arguing against recent
            scholars' acceptance of a Domitianic date.

            "Associated with the worship of the Beast was the `mark' given to
            his followers (Rev 13:16). In the first century a number of
            `markings' took place, some by force (e.g. of slaves) and others
            willingly, as signs of devotion (e.g. of soldiers to a general), but
            there is no record of the enforced imposition of a mark for all
            citizens of the empire, `both small and great, rich and poor, both
            free and slave'. If to identify the Beast we are to insist on
            emperor worship at the level it is demanded in the Revelation,
            then we should also insist that the `mark of the Beast' was a
            universal expectation. As this did not occur under Domitian, it is
            probable that, with the `mark', we can link the absolute demand
            for worship to the ultimate Beast. In that case the matter of
            emperor worship – or, at least, the degree of it – is no longer a
            bar to considering Nero as the emperor Beast of the
            Apocalypse." (p. 61)

            Part of my understanding is that the Revelation, while useful for
            all ages, was given specifically for two, the persecutions under
            Nero and the tribulation which will precede the end of this age
            and Christ's return. It seems to me that the conditions which
            preceded and included Nero's persecutions were used (by God)
            to give a double layered prophetic message which was fulfilled
            in part with Nero but which would be finally fulfilled when the
            ultimate Beast / Antichrist / man of lawlessness is revealed.

            In this case, some of that which was prophesied in the
            Revelation was not fulfilled under Nero (or Domitian) but will be
            in the final fulfilment. Along with the `mark of the Beast', the
            throwing of the Beast into the lake of fire (what ever that is), the
            new heavens and new earth are examples.

            Considering that the final fulfilment is yet to happen, it is
            interesting to me that it has not been until our day – and
            subsequently – that the technology has been available to
            effectively `number' the whole of the global population. Similarly
            the security systems which check a combination of peoples
            irises and fingerprints is not without interest. I have no wish to
            promote paranoia, but these things are worth watching.

            Sincerely,

            Kym Smith
            Adelaide
            South Australia
            khs@...
          • David L. Barr
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2002
              I find myself more or less amused by those who torture logic to apply
              Revelation to some supposed current event when the symbols and story fit so
              well into John's own life context. As to the Mark, there are several
              possibilities; the one I prefer is:

              ---
              The second beast works by miracles and deception to gain worship of the
              first beast. Those who refuse are killed (13:15). Those who acquiesce are
              marked, on their foreheads and hands, with the mark/name of the beast: 666.
              Whether we understand this as an individual or corporate reference
              (discussed in the section on characterization above: p. 107-108), the
              meaning is to be found in the ancient metaphorical use of the body's parts.
              The head was the seat of authority and volition and thus the center of the
              spirit. The mark on the head signifies spiritual devotion to the beast.
              The hand represents action, production, and commerce. The mark on the hand
              signifies economic support for the beast. [See the discussion in Pilch and
              Malina Biblical Social Values]
              To understand how everyone is tainted by these marks one needs to understand
              how life was lived in first-century Roman Asia Minor. Literally every
              activity would involve one in some token recognition of the emperor (and his
              divinity) and of the Gods. Education began with reading Homer's ancient
              tales of Gods and heroes. Medicine was practiced in the name of Asclepius,
              God of healing. Entertainment consisted of sporting events (both the bloody
              arena and the Olympic Games) dedicated to the Gods and of the theater
              dedicated to Dionysus. Each performance began with a sacrifice to Dionysus
              whose altar stood at the front of every theater. To ply a trade meant to
              belong to a guild, but trade guilds were devoted to a patron deity regarded
              as the founder and protector of the craft. Mutual assistance societies (the
              ancient form of insurance) would gather in the name of some God or Goddess.
              The very coins by which one bought and sold, and paid one's taxes, testified
              to these Gods and Goddesses. And these coins most often bore some image of
              the emperor and an inscription claiming him to be "son of the divine
              Julius." Even if one avoided the direct worship of these "beasts" one's
              hand might still be marked in the daily round of commerce.
              In this scene of the two beasts John paints an almost wholly pessimistic
              picture: who can fight against the beast (13:4). Those who have followed
              the story this far might suspect they know the answer, and that suspicion is
              confirmed in the next scene.
              --From *Tales of the End* by David L. Barr (Polebridge, 1998)127.

              The "marking" is of course the counterfeit of the "sealing" of the holy
              ones; odd that no one imagines that Christians were (or will be) tattooed or
              embedded with divine computer chips.

              David L. Barr
              Professor of Religion
              Wright State University
              Dayton OH

              937-775-2293
              937-775-2707 (FAX)
              http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                This explanation is very interesting and clever but it disregards the plain
                reading of the text. John plainly states that people will be unable to buy
                or sell unless they receive the mark on the forehead or the right-hand. John
                talks about a mark on the hand not about carrying something around in the
                hand. Call me a literalist, but often times the plain meaning of a passage
                makes for the most reasonable interpretation. As for Christians being
                tattooed or embedded with divine computer chips....well Christians do not
                need the seal of the living God (spoken of in Rev. 7:2,3) in order to buy or
                sell.

                Another thing that amazes me is the number of books that emphasize the
                importance of The Roman empire in understanding the book of Revelation. Its
                importance is in many cases overblown.

                Ed Garcia
                Kansas

                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                  Thanks for your responses to my inquiry, Ed, and David and Kym. I do
                  think the Roman Imperial culture was the historical backdrop for
                  Revelation, and I imagine that loyalty to the Empire would have been
                  demonstrated in some outward fashion, suggesting compliance with Rome.
                  This is why I'm wondering what sort of archaeological or historical
                  evidence there might have been which clarifies the right hand and forehead
                  references to displaying the mark of the beast. If someone had offered a
                  sacrifice to Caesar, or declared Caesar as Lord, for instance, how would
                  such loyalty demonstrations have carried over beyond the event?

                  Thanks!

                  Paul Anderson
                • Jon Paulien
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                    Paul,

                    You may not want to overlook a possible Jewish connection to the Mark of the
                    Beast concept. In Deut 6:4-8 the commandments of God are to be worn on the
                    forehead and the hand. Since the commandments of God are mentioned in Rev
                    12:17 and 14:12 (and possibly alluded to in Rev 13), the Mark of the Beast
                    would highlight for John's audience the contrast between obedience to God on
                    the one hand and obedience to the secular and religious authorities of the
                    dominant culture on the other. If the "seal of God" concept is related to the
                    commandments, the contrast is heightened even further.

                    As Adela Collins has pointed out, the author of Rev is trying to move his
                    readers away from their attraction to social compromise to an either/or
                    commitment.

                    Jon Paulien
                    Andrews University

                    Paul Anderson wrote:

                    > Thanks for your responses to my inquiry, Ed, and David and Kym. I do
                    > think the Roman Imperial culture was the historical backdrop for
                    > Revelation, and I imagine that loyalty to the Empire would have been
                    > demonstrated in some outward fashion, suggesting compliance with Rome.
                    > This is why I'm wondering what sort of archaeological or historical
                    > evidence there might have been which clarifies the right hand and forehead
                    > references to displaying the mark of the beast. If someone had offered a
                    > sacrifice to Caesar, or declared Caesar as Lord, for instance, how would
                    > such loyalty demonstrations have carried over beyond the event?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Paul Anderson

                  • Paul Anderson
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                      revelation-list@yahoogroups.com writes:
                      >Paul,
                      >
                      >You may not want to overlook a possible Jewish connection to the Mark of
                      >the
                      >Beast concept. In Deut 6:4-8 the commandments of God are to be worn on the
                      >forehead and the hand. Since the commandments of God are mentioned in Rev
                      >12:17 and 14:12 (and possibly alluded to in Rev 13), the Mark of the Beast
                      >would highlight for John's audience the contrast between obedience to God
                      >on
                      >the one hand and obedience to the secular and religious authorities of the
                      >dominant culture on the other. If the "seal of God" concept is related to
                      >the
                      >commandments, the contrast is heightened even further.
                      >
                      >As Adela Collins has pointed out, the author of Rev is trying to move his
                      >readers away from their attraction to social compromise to an either/or
                      >commitment.
                      >
                      >Jon Paulien
                      >Andrews University

                      Excellent point, Jon.

                      Thanks!

                      Paul
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                        Along the lines of Jon's comments, I have always found it fascinating to
                        consider the mark of the beast in light of the mark of Cain in Genesis.
                        Unless I am mistaken, certain Jewish writers wondered if the mark of Cain
                        could have been the letter tav/tau. The word itself (as I understand) means
                        "mark" and which early on resembled an X or a cross. It is the ancestor of
                        the Greek letter tau. I have not come to any conclusions but I do find it
                        interesting.

                        Ed Garcia
                        Kansas

                        Paul Anderson wrote:

                        > Thanks for your responses to my inquiry, Ed, and David and Kym. I do
                        > think the Roman Imperial culture was the historical backdrop for
                        > Revelation, and I imagine that loyalty to the Empire would have been
                        > demonstrated in some outward fashion, suggesting compliance with Rome.
                        > This is why I'm wondering what sort of archaeological or historical
                        > evidence there might have been which clarifies the right hand and forehead
                        > references to displaying the mark of the beast. If someone had offered a
                        > sacrifice to Caesar, or declared Caesar as Lord, for instance, how would
                        > such loyalty demonstrations have carried over beyond the event?
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Paul Anderson

                      • David L. Barr
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                          This is not at all the way I imagine things, based on what I know of the
                          imperial cult. For a really fine and detailed treatment of what cult
                          activities would look like, see:

                          Steven J. Friesen, Imperial Cults and the Apocalypse of John: Reading
                          Revelation in the Ruins. Oxford: Oxford Press University, 2001.

                          Steve has collected all the available archaeological and epigraphical
                          data and offers a fresh and insightful interpretation of it.

                          David
[...]

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • kymhsm
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 29, 2002
                            Dear David,

                            Thank you for your response. My response, in return, is a double
                            one. Firstly, I felt somewhat chastened. As I was writing I had in
                            mind the sealing of the Spirit of which the mark of the Beast is
                            obviously a counterfeit:
                            "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, till we have sealed
                            the servants of our God on their foreheads" (Rev 7:3)
                            But in my haste I did not include it. So thank you for your clear
                            and, I think, correct explanation of the mark of the Beast.

                            Secondly, however, I do not see myself as one of <<those who
                            torture logic to apply Revelation to some supposed current
                            event>>. Because I see the Revelation as (at least)
                            double-layered, intended for the Church in Nero's time and for
                            the Church which will ultimately face the end (as I think much if
                            not most of OT prophecy is double layered with the renewal of
                            Israel often referring to the Church), then I also think that there
                            are parts of it yet to be played out.

                            I have no interest in trying to interpret every current event, but we
                            are called to be watchful. It is important that we are aware of the
                            spirit of our age and, ineveitably, there will aso be some 'events'
                            that are also significant. I was guilty of drawing an association
                            between Sept 11 with Rev 18 but only in the sense that it serves
                            as a reminder for us to be ever vigil.

                            While I have expressed agreement with your understanding of
                            the 'mark' above, with Ed, I do suspect that eventually the 'mark'
                            will have a much more tangible and immediate impact on the
                            faithful. The 'seal' prohibited (and prohibits) the believers from
                            engaging in certain practices of the world because of their/our
                            identification with Christ. The 'mark' , however, appears to be an
                            offensive of the Beast to isolate the faithful in a way that I think we
                            are yet to encounter. I may be wrong but that is the way I see it.

                            Sincerely,

                            Kym Smith
                            Adelaide
                            South Australia
                            khs@...
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                              >Any thoughts out there on the bow held by the 1st horseman? Chilton has
                              some
                              >interesting insights.

                              I was persuaded by Allan Kerkeslager's argument that it was an image of
                              Apollo representing false religion. The symbolism works and it fits better
                              with the other three horsemen as a sequence (in contrast to traditional
                              interpretations of it as a proleptic vision of Christ.)

                              Revd Dr Ian Paul 32 Penn Hill Avenue, Poole, Dorset BH14 9LZ
                              01202 745963 fax 01202 385539
                              Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd, Ridley Hall Road, Cambridge CB3 9HU
                              01223 464748 fax 01223 464849
                              http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
                            • Don K
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                                It seems to me that a better suggestion is to be found in Psalms 45:3-5,
                                where the avenging Jehovah "fairer than the sons of men" is called to Gird a
                                sword on your thigh O Mighty One With yo9ur glory and majesty And in your
                                majesty ride prosperously because of truth, humility, and righteousness, and
                                Your right hand shall teach You awesome things Your arrows are sharp in the
                                heart fo the King's enemies."
                                In the verses that follow we find the famous passage cited in Hebrews 1:8f
                                concerning the enthronement of the Messiah, Jesus.
                                Furthermore, in the Psalm, we find so many of the elements and themes
                                prevalent in the Apocalypse:
                                A conquering rider, with the sword of Jehovah on his thigh. (cf. 19:15, the
                                sword coming out of the mouth of the rider)
                                The righteousness of the rider asserted and emphasized.
                                The rider with arrows (i.e. the bow) to use against the enemies of
                                righteousness.
                                The rider identified as the Mighty One, (El Shaddai, can someone confirm the
                                Hebrew on this?), and of course, in the Apocalypse, the rider in chapter 19
                                is "the pantokratoros," (cf. 1:7-8), and King of kings.
                                It is also distinctly possible that Lamentations 2:4 is echoed in the
                                Apocalypse: "Standing like an enemy, He has bent His bow, with His right
                                hand like an adversary. He has slain all who were pleasing in His sight".
                                Since the Apocalypse is certainly about the judgment of the city "where the
                                Lord was slain" (11:8), it would be natural for a good "Jewish" author to
                                call the Lament to mind as he considered the impending catastrophe.
                                To me, these links are persuasive, and more congruent than an identification
                                with the Apollo myth.
                                Don K