Re: Seven Seal Scroll

  • Ken Flowers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2002
      Let's not forget the obvious answer to the question. I assumed Ed was
      asking asking about the scroll itself and not its contents. We could
      probably get bogged down all year on the meaning question, and never
      agree. I think it generally behoves us to ask the basic questions
      first. Apocalyptic scrolls in general, and this one is no exception,
      represent God's plan (history), often (perhaps likely) about the
      future. While this may be a "duh" moment for the ch. 5 scroll, extending
      this idea for the scroll in ch. 10 perhaps sheds some light.

      I posit that the oddity of the ch. 10 scroll is that John chooses to tell
      us that he can't tell us. The question is not what the scroll contains,
      that should be clear from the symbology. I take the ch. 5 scroll(s) to be
      the telling of God's plan for all of history (a general telling of wars and
      famines and judgments), and the small scroll of ch.10 to be a telling of
      God's plan for a smaller time (the end time only.)

      What John tells us in ch. 10 is that God will reveal his plan very
      openly. I see this as an additional salvific attempt. Everyone will hear
      the plan and have the opportunity to accept or reject it. John heard the
      voice, but so did all the world. 10:7 even tells us the "mystery of God is
      finished." That is, the plan is no longer secret, although it currently is
      for us. What follows "after" is the rejection of the witnesses in ch. 11,
      which may show that there is still opportunity for choice after this
      revealing of God's plan.

      Ken Flowers - Not a scholar, just a hack
      Lexington, MA