SV: [revelation-list] Question on Seven Sealed Scroll

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2002
      Take a look at:

      Stefanovic´, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed Book of
      Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation Series, vol.
      22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.

      By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but you
      should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive history of
      research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).

      Georg S. Adamsen
      LSTA, Denmark

    • wuluwu@juno.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2002
        David L. Barr's <Tales of the End: A Narrative Commentary on the Book of
        Revelation> might offer another perspective on this point. Santa Rosa,
        California: Polebridge Press, 1998.

        Peter Wu
        WTS, USA

        On Thu, 16 May 2002 08:01:13 +0200 "Georg S. Adamsen"
        <gsa@...> writes:
        > Take a look at:
        >
        > Stefanovic�, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed
        > Book of
        > Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation
        > Series, vol.
        > 22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.
        >
        > By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but
        > you
        > should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive
        > history of
        > research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).
        >
        > Georg S. Adamsen
        > LSTA, Denmark

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Ramsey Michaels
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2002
          A work that was helpful to me was F.D. Mazzaferri, The Genre of the Book of
          Revelation, 1989 (Berlin: de Gruyter). He opened up the possibility that
          maybe the "little scroll" of chapter 10 might in fact be the once sealed
          scroll of chapter 5, now opened.

          Ramsey Michaels

          > Stefanovic´, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed Book
          of
          > Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation Series,
          vol.
          > 22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.
          >
          > By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but you
          > should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive history
          of
          > research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).
          >
          > Georg S. Adamsen
          > LSTA, Denmark

        • Dave Mathewson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2002
            You might also consult the relevant sections in D. Aune's commentary, who
            takes issue with both Mazzaferri and Bauckham on the relationship of the
            scroll in chaps. 5 and 10.

            Dave Mathewson

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2002
              In my thesis I argue against Mazzaferri's view. The term biblaridion seems
              to be a diminutive form. Although diminutive forms may loose their
              diminutive sense, this requires that they have been in use for some time.
              Biblaridion, however, occurs, to the best of my knowledge, only in
              Revelation and Hermas' Shepherd and in later writings dependent on the
              former two.e

              Moreover, the "little scroll" is obviously an Ezekielian scroll. The scroll
              in 5:1, however, is a sealed scroll, the Danielic sealed scroll I believe
              for a number of reasons. I have endeavoured to work out the consequences of
              this view in my thesis.

              Georg S. Adamsen
            • Ramsey Michaels
              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                I have sometimes fancied that the scroll in chapter 10 only looked small to
                John by comparison, because it was in the hands of the giant angel astride
                the land and sea. Is that too whimsical a thought? In any case, as is often
                noted, biblaridion (vv 2, 9) and biblion (v 8) seem to be used
                interchangeably.

                Ramsey

                > You might also consult the relevant sections in D. Aune's commentary, who
                > takes issue with both Mazzaferri and Bauckham on the relationship of the
                > scroll in chaps. 5 and 10.
                >
                > Dave Mathewson
                >

                > >From: "Ramsey Michaels" <profram@...>
                > >To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [revelation-list] Question on Seven Sealed Scroll
                > >Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:25:38 -0400
                > >
                > >A work that was helpful to me was F.D. Mazzaferri, The Genre of the Book
                of
                > >Revelation, 1989 (Berlin: de Gruyter). He opened up the possibility that
                > >maybe the "little scroll" of chapter 10 might in fact be the once sealed
                > >scroll of chapter 5, now opened.
                > >
                > >Ramsey Michaels

              • Lastday
                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                  Hi Ramsey,
                  Does the book you recommend give a reason why the "little scroll" of
                  Rev.10 is the same as that of Rev.6? It has messages of seven thunders;
                  but there is no indication that John has revealed their "content" after
                  eating the scroll, sealing their messages and being told by two voices
                  at once that he, John, "must prophesy again before many kings and
                  tongues and people and nations." My view is that John will come back as
                  one of the Two Prophets to reveal those 7 thunders...as he is a "Son of
                  Thunder" and he did not deny the "rumor" that he might survive until
                  Jesus comes. He only denied that Jesus actually said he would survive
                  until Jesus comes. Mel Miller

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                    Hi Georg,
                    What is the central theme of your thesis? Mel Miller