Question on Seven Sealed Scroll

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2002
      I am sure that this question has been discussed before on this list but here
      goes.

      What is the significance of the seven sealed scroll?

      What does it represent?

      Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

      Ed Garcia
      Kansas
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2002
        Take a look at:

        Stefanovic´, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed Book of
        Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation Series, vol.
        22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.

        By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but you
        should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive history of
        research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).

        Georg S. Adamsen
        LSTA, Denmark

      • wuluwu@juno.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2002
          David L. Barr's <Tales of the End: A Narrative Commentary on the Book of
          Revelation> might offer another perspective on this point. Santa Rosa,
          California: Polebridge Press, 1998.

          Peter Wu
          WTS, USA

          On Thu, 16 May 2002 08:01:13 +0200 "Georg S. Adamsen"
          <gsa@...> writes:
          > Take a look at:
          >
          > Stefanovic�, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed
          > Book of
          > Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation
          > Series, vol.
          > 22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.
          >
          > By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but
          > you
          > should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive
          > history of
          > research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).
          >
          > Georg S. Adamsen
          > LSTA, Denmark

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Ramsey Michaels
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2002
            A work that was helpful to me was F.D. Mazzaferri, The Genre of the Book of
            Revelation, 1989 (Berlin: de Gruyter). He opened up the possibility that
            maybe the "little scroll" of chapter 10 might in fact be the once sealed
            scroll of chapter 5, now opened.

            Ramsey Michaels

            > Stefanovic´, Ranko. 1996. The Backgrounds and Meaning of the Sealed Book
            of
            > Revelation 5. Andrews University Seminary Doctoral Dissertation Series,
            vol.
            > 22. Berrien Springs, Michigan: Andrews University Press.
            >
            > By the way, I don't agree in everything with his interpretation, but you
            > should nevertheless read it anyway. There is a very comprehensive history
            of
            > research (more than 100 pages, if my memory serves).
            >
            > Georg S. Adamsen
            > LSTA, Denmark

          • Dave Mathewson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2002
              You might also consult the relevant sections in D. Aune's commentary, who
              takes issue with both Mazzaferri and Bauckham on the relationship of the
              scroll in chaps. 5 and 10.

              Dave Mathewson

              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                In my thesis I argue against Mazzaferri's view. The term biblaridion seems
                to be a diminutive form. Although diminutive forms may loose their
                diminutive sense, this requires that they have been in use for some time.
                Biblaridion, however, occurs, to the best of my knowledge, only in
                Revelation and Hermas' Shepherd and in later writings dependent on the
                former two.e

                Moreover, the "little scroll" is obviously an Ezekielian scroll. The scroll
                in 5:1, however, is a sealed scroll, the Danielic sealed scroll I believe
                for a number of reasons. I have endeavoured to work out the consequences of
                this view in my thesis.

                Georg S. Adamsen
              • Ramsey Michaels
                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                  I have sometimes fancied that the scroll in chapter 10 only looked small to
                  John by comparison, because it was in the hands of the giant angel astride
                  the land and sea. Is that too whimsical a thought? In any case, as is often
                  noted, biblaridion (vv 2, 9) and biblion (v 8) seem to be used
                  interchangeably.

                  Ramsey

                  > You might also consult the relevant sections in D. Aune's commentary, who
                  > takes issue with both Mazzaferri and Bauckham on the relationship of the
                  > scroll in chaps. 5 and 10.
                  >
                  > Dave Mathewson
                  >

                  > >From: "Ramsey Michaels" <profram@...>
                  > >To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: Re: [revelation-list] Question on Seven Sealed Scroll
                  > >Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:25:38 -0400
                  > >
                  > >A work that was helpful to me was F.D. Mazzaferri, The Genre of the Book
                  of
                  > >Revelation, 1989 (Berlin: de Gruyter). He opened up the possibility that
                  > >maybe the "little scroll" of chapter 10 might in fact be the once sealed
                  > >scroll of chapter 5, now opened.
                  > >
                  > >Ramsey Michaels

                • Lastday
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                    Hi Ramsey,
                    Does the book you recommend give a reason why the "little scroll" of
                    Rev.10 is the same as that of Rev.6? It has messages of seven thunders;
                    but there is no indication that John has revealed their "content" after
                    eating the scroll, sealing their messages and being told by two voices
                    at once that he, John, "must prophesy again before many kings and
                    tongues and people and nations." My view is that John will come back as
                    one of the Two Prophets to reveal those 7 thunders...as he is a "Son of
                    Thunder" and he did not deny the "rumor" that he might survive until
                    Jesus comes. He only denied that Jesus actually said he would survive
                    until Jesus comes. Mel Miller

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                      Hi Georg,
                      What is the central theme of your thesis? Mel Miller