Re: [revelation-list] The hidden manna and the white stone (Rev 2)

  • Rev. Dr. John M. Sweigart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2001
      The hidden manna and the white stone (Rev 2)
      Dear Greg:
      Great idea! This corresponds of course with the possible chiasitic structure of the book.  Two suggestions may help you.  Perhaps the hidden manna is another name for the fruit of the tree of life.  Secondly, since one of the cultural contexts for the books seems to me to be polemical thrusts at the mystery religions ie the deep things of Satan, we should consider that the white stone is an amulet or a turban jewel similar to what the high priest of Israel used to wear.  Interestingly, although I am not a Freemason, the officers of a lodge wear particular jewels as a sign of office.  Oh one more thing, I think the Jerusalem Bible has an interesting footnote on the hidden manna, linking it to the activities of Jeremiah hiding the ark of the covenant before the fall of the temple.  You might want to check that out.

      John Sweigart

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2001
        Lund suggests (and I concur) that the letters chiastically correspond with
        a second set of seven angels:

        The First Angel (17:1-18)
        The Second Angel (18:1-20)
        The Third Angel (18:21-24)
        A Heavenly Scene (19:1-10)
        The Fourth Angel's Place: Jesus (19:11-16)
        The Fifth Angel (19:17-21)
        The Sixth Angel (20:1-15)
        A Heavenly Scene (21:1-8)
        The Seventh Angel (21:9-22:5)

        Don't expect Revelation's chiasm and parallels to be obviously
        regular. The author frequently jumps among many structural forms. At the
        highest level he uses a 3-1-3 setup that puts Jesus in the center of the
        action as follows:

        Three letters <----> Three angels
        One Letter (Jesus in Intro and Promise, Rod of Iron) <--
        --> Jesus in Angel's Place (Rod of Iron)
        Three letters <----> Three angels

        Other parallels from the seven letters are scattered among the seven
        angels. I would not be surprised to find a regular pattern, but I haven't
        seen it yet.

        I haven't pushed much harder than that on lower level parallels (yet), but
        the conceptual similarities in the two sections abound. For instance,
        stones and food feature prominently in the first three angels. Also look
        at 19:12 for the name "that no man knew, but he himself."

        Ken Flowers
        Lexington, MA
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
          Greetings!

          You may want to check out:

          Wong, Daniel K. K. "The Hidden Manna and the White Stone in Revelation
          2:17." BSac 155, no. 619 (1998): 346-54.

          as well as

          Wilson, Mark Wayne. "A Pie in a Very Bleak Sky? Analysis and
          Appropriation of the Promise Sayings in the Seven Letters to the
          Churches in Revelation 2--3." Doctor of Literature and
          Philosophy-dissertation, University of South Africa, 1996.

          Wilson's thesis is a very comprehensive survey and analysis of both
          intratextual and historical connections. You will no doubt find it
          useful. I don't think it has been published (yet), but perhaps he will
          send you an electronic copy? I think he may even be on this list. If
          not, perhaps you can find him via Regent College or University in
          Vancouver. I know that he was teaching there some time ago. If any of
          you list members know where he is currently teaching, please, let us
          know.

          I may have some thoughts on the issue of the hidden manna and the white
          stone, but, unfortunately, I am too busy right now.

          Georg S. Adamsen
          Ass. Prof. of NT, LSTA