Re: [revelation-list] Introducing myself

  • merritt spencer
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
      I see the wisdom and the law,etc i.e. the word of God being Jesus
      personified. Yes He existed before all creation but the first born from
      death is a reference to His resurrection after being spiritually as well as
      physically deceased and when He came back from spiritual death He provided a
      way for me and you to also come back from the spiritual grave, the one in
      which we are baptised unto death and the one from which we are raised to walk
      in newness of life.

      Loren Johns wrote:

      > "Firstborn" functioned somewhat like pre-existence in early Judaism.
      > Various things, such as wisdom, the Law, etc., were created before the
      > world was created. This served to underscore the cosmological or
      > theological importance of whatever preexisted creation. It should not be
      > read as a historical claim.
      >
      > Loren Johns

    • Loren Johns
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
        I would say that your method of doing theology is not sufficiently
        informed by historical work, which does not entirely control, but should
        inform and provide some limits of plausibility on the doing of theology.
        Certainly the Jewish writers who developed or at least used the category
        of preexistence theologically were not thinking of Jesus.

        Loren Johns

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
          Dear list members

          It is not always easy to determine whether prospect subscribers have the
          appropriate qualifications. I think I made a mistake some time ago, and
          a friendly warning off the list did not have the intended effect. Thus,
          I have just unsubscribed one of the members.

          Perhaps we should end this discussion then?

          I apologise for any inconvenience.

          Georg S. Adamsen
          Listowner
        • Edgar Krentz
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
            At 10:38 AM -0600 11/7/01, merritt spencer wrote:
            >I see the wisdom and the law,etc i.e. the word of God being Jesus
            >personified. Yes He existed before all creation but the first born from
            >death is a reference to His resurrection after being spiritually as well as
            >physically deceased and when He came back from spiritual death He provided a
            >way for me and you to also come back from the spiritual grave, the one in
            >which we are baptised unto death and the one from which we are raised to walk
            >in newness of life.

            Where does not NT ever say that Jesus died spiritually? This is a
            quite modern, non-NT description.

            Edgar Krentz
            Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
            Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
            1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
            Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
            e-mail: ekrentz@...
            home e-mail: ekrentz@...
            GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
            "I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]