Re: [revelation-list] RE: Rev 20:4 = 1 group or 2 groups?

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2013
      No, the firstfruits of 14.4 are Jewish while those of 20.4 are Christian.  Those of 14.4 are of the 144,000 Jews in cap 7.

       search for truth, hear truth, learn truth,
       love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,

      >________________________________

    • Timothy Jenney
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
        I agree with George that Revelation's reference to beheading most likely finds it antecedent in Paul's death, which would have been much more recent than that of John the Baptist.

        In this case, the etymology of the word "behead" (Gk. pelekizo) is of very little use. It simply means "behead."

        Perhaps more relevant is that fact that this was the typical capital punishment for a Roman citizen, as opposed to Jesus or Peter, non-citizens, who could be crucified. [John the Baptist's death notwithstanding.]. Followers of Jesus could be beheaded for many different reasons, including being a member of an outlawed religion or treason against the state. Being a Christian, as various points in the history of Rome, would qualify for such punishment under either law.

        It is tempting to see here the penalty for not worshiping the Roman emperor at one of the many temples that celebrated his deity. However, there is little extant evidence that any such practice occurred, even in Asia Minor, where the temples seemed to have greater status than in Rome itself. The trouble is that most of our records are from Rome itself, few from the eastern provinces.

        Blessings,
        Tim

        Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D.
        Acquisitions Editor, TDWP
        Adj. Faculty, Regent University, School of Divinity
        Host, Lighting the Lamp, Accordance Bible Software

        On Sep 3, 2013, at 10:55 AM, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

        > I don't think those "beheaded for their testimony to Jesus" reflect John the Baptist but rather St Paul. Under any dating you wish to choose, Paul would have been martyred by the time the Apocalypse was written. The OT martyrs are reflected in 13.1-14.5.
        >
        > george
        >
        > gfsomsel
        >
        > search for truth, hear truth, learn truth,
        > love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
        > defend the truth till death.
        >
        > - Jan Hus
        > _________
        > �
        >
        > >________________________________

      • kymhsm
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
          Hi all, George especially, was not going to engage and still do not wish to send the discussion off on
          a tangent but I have argued on this site - a long time ago - for an early Revelation, no later than
          mid 62, so before Paul's death (64) and before most of the NT was written. If correct, there can be
          no reflection of Paul.

          Kym

          Kym Smith
          All Saints Anglican Church
          Seacliff, South Australia
          and Chaplain
          Flinders Medical Centre

          On Wed, Sep 4th, 2013 at 12:55 AM, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

          > I don't think those "beheaded for their testimony to Jesus" reflect John
          > the Baptist but rather St Paul.  Under any dating you wish to choose,
          > Paul would have been martyred by the time the Apocalypse was written.
          > The OT martyrs are reflected in 13.1-14.5.
          >
          > george
          >
          > gfsomsel
          >
          >  search for truth, hear truth, learn truth,
          >  love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
          >  defend the truth till death.
          >
          > - Jan Hus
          > _________
        • Timothy Jenney
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
            [Chuckle] and I thought I held to an early date! I argue for 68 AD, just after the death of Nero and while Jerusalem lay under siege.

            George, of course, holds to the later date.

            Blessings,
            Dr. J
            (Sent from my iPhone)

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
              Such an early date for the Apocalypse is an impossibility for a number of reasons.
              1. The Church at Smyrna was not founded by Paul but was later as is indicated by the Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians 11.2-3                                                                                                                                                                         "Or do we not know that the saints will judge the world," as Paul teaches? (3) But I have not observed or heard of any such thing among you, in whose midst the blessed Paul labored, and who were his letters of recommendation in the beginning. For he boasts about you in all the churches—those alone, that is, which at that time had come to know the Lord,63 for we had not yet come to know him.
              2. The governance of the Churches is not that depicted in the Pauline letters—it is apparent that there was a monarchical episcopate at the time of the writing of the Apocalypse (The Letters to the Seven Churches were written to the bishops of those churches and indicate by the authority with which the author speaks that the circuit which included them comprised a diocese.
              3. The relations between the Church and the Synagogue reflect a later period which is most likely that of the Bar Kockba revolt.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2013

                The subject of beheading in Matt and Mark is John the Baptizer. Our latter day Elijah. St. Paul’s beheading, if it took place during Nero’s reign may then have been of relevance to this text if one ascribes to a later date for the Revelation of Jesus Christ. Then again, it could be a contemporary reference or a prophecy of what was to come, but the author does not make that clear – referencing the beheading to the two other occurrences within the New Testament does make it clear that the modus operandi in John’s case was going for the head. Chopping off the head as the seat of government seems to have been a traditional mid-eastern  approach towards settling scores.

                The persecution of the church and Nero’s attempt to destroy the Apostolic mandate.

                The question remains are we dealing with two sets of martyrs here or one? I would say both – same but different. It is not a dualistic simplicity.

                Jason Coates

                S. Africa

              • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2014

                  New Year's Greetings,

                  Personally, I am less interested in modern interpretation than in the understanding of the earliest Christians in the tradition of the apostles. Here are a couple of examples.

                  >>Sheperd of Hermas

                  SIMILITUDE NINTH.

                  CHAP. XVII.

                  “I understand, sir,” I replied. “Now, sir,” I continued, “explain to me, with respect to the mountains, why their forms are various and diverse.” “Listen,” he said: “these mountains are the twelve tribes, which inhabit the whole world.  [Rev. vii. 4.] The Son of God, accordingly, was preached unto them by the apostles.” “But why are the mountains of various kinds, some having one form, and others another? Explain that to me, sir.” “Listen,” he answered: “these twelve tribes that inhabit the whole world are twelve nations. And they vary in prudence and understanding. As numerous, then, as are the varieties of the mountains which you saw,

                  are also the diversities of mind and understanding among these nations. And I will explain to you the actions of each one.” “First, sir,” I said, “explain this: why, when the mountains are so diverse, their stones, when placed in the building, became one colour, shining like those also that had ascended out of the pit.” “Because,” he said, “all the nations that dwell under heaven were called by hearing and believing upon the name of the Son of God. [Rom. x. 17.] Having, therefore, received the seal, they had one understanding and one mind; and their faith became one, and their love one, and with the name they bore also the spirits of the virgins. [Rev. xiv. 4.] On this account the building of the tower became of one colour, bright as the sun. But after they had entered into the same place, and became one body, certain of these defiled themselves, and were expelled from the race of the righteous, and became again what they were before, or rather worse.”<<

                  1. Twelve mountains are twelve tribes and twelve nations that inhabit the whole world. (14:1-4, 5:9, 15:3) They were preached to by the apostles.

                  2. All the nations under heaven were called. (7:9) The twelve responded and were as virgins.

                  3. They bore the spirits of virgins. (14:4)

                  >>Tertullian

                  On the Resurrection of the Flesh

                  Chapter XXVII.—Certain Metaphorical Terms Explained of the Resurrection of the Flesh.

                  We have also in the Scriptures robes mentioned as allegorizing the hope of the flesh. Thus in the Revelation of John it is said:  “These are they which have not defiled their clothes with women,” ( Rev. iii. 4 and xiv. 4.) —indicating, of course, virgins, and such as have become “eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake.” (Matt. xix. 12.) Therefore they shall be “clothed in white raiment,” (Rev. iii. 5.) that is, in the bright beauty of the unwedded flesh. In the gospel even, “the wedding garment” may be regarded as the sanctity of the flesh. (Matt. xxii. 11, 12.) And so, when Isaiah tells us what sort of “fast the Lord hath chosen,” and subjoins a statement about the reward of good works, he says: “Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thy garments, shall speedily arise;” (Isa. lviii. 8.) where he has no thought of cloaks or stuff gowns, but means the rising of the flesh, which he declared the resurrection of, after its fall in death. Thus we are furnished even with an allegorical defence of the resurrection of the body. When, then, we read, “Go, my people, enter into your closets for a little season, until my anger pass away,” ( Isa. xxvi. 20). we have in the closets graves, in which they will have to rest for a little while, who shall have at the end of the world departed this life in the last furious onset of the power of Antichrist.<<

                  Alan Fuller

                  https://sites.google.com/site/apocalypticwisdom/