Re: Dissertation ideas or unexplored topics

  • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2012
      The thing I don't think you'll find very much discussion of on this list is the connection between the apocalyptic and wisdom genres and how that is related to Revelation's symbolism. Some people who have explored the wisdom/apocalyptic genre:

      The Ages of Man and the Ages of the World; A Study of two Traditions - Paul Archambault

      John J. Collins in History of Religions
      Vol. 17, No. 2 (Nov., 1977), pp. 121-142

      Biblical proverbs weren't written in a vaccum. They were similar to those in ancient Egypt, Babylon and Greece. It is often symbolic in form, and so is the apocalypse.

      Eusebius of Caesara wrote the dream of the king the image is "to liken the the life of all men to the great image," while Daniel's vision represented "the great and mighty tumult of life to a sea." The reason for the correlation to four ancient nations wasn't so much to depict history, but because they were associated with the bondage of Israel which is found in scripture. Israel itself is seen as typical of God's son (Scholia on Daniel).

      The church father Hippolytus writes, ""a day with the Lord is as a thousand years." Since, then, in six days God made all things, it follows that 6,000 years must be fulfilled. And they are not yet fulfilled, as John says: "five are fallen; one is," that is, the sixth; "the other is not yet come."" - The interpretation by Hippolytus, (bishop) of Rome, of the visions of Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar, taken in conjunction.

      We see further association of of wisdom and apocalyptic imagery in Psuedographic literature like I Enoch and Jubilees. The relation is then carried further in the Book of Revelation.

      Alan Fuller