Re: [revelation-list] Apostolic Interpretation

    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011
      You must also remember that this would have been read more than once so there
      would be opportunities to pick up further details later.

      From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
      To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com

      I really don't know why we should discuss either Constantine or Justinian or any

      other figure subsequent to the penning of the Apocalypse.  It was not written

      primarily for a later age.  It was written for those to whom the book was

      delivered by the author's courier in his circuit around the loop which

      constituted the diocese of the author of the Apocalypse.  It was meant to be

      understood by them -- one must accept that it would have been compreshensible to

      them with their knowledge of the OT and the apocalyptic literature as well as

      the intimate knowledge they would have of their own age.  This was not something

      which would only become clear years and centuries or even millenia thereafter.

      It was a message to the bishop's parishoners.  It is only a message to us today

      in the sense that they still convey the same vital message which was set to

      "paper" when it was written just as Paul's letters were primarily letters to

      living and breathing people of the time in which he lived.  They are still

      meaningful and even vitally significant to us today, but we understand them much

      less easily than the original recipients would have.

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011