Re: Apostolic Interpretation

  • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 14, 2011
      Thank you very much for your kind patience. When you said the "text" I referred to, I thought you meant Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, vii.24. I didn't understand you meant the Bible "text." I understand now, and I agree.

      I think it is interesting that Eusebius referred to Nepos' private opinion and non-allegorical approach as "Jewish." A non-allegorical approach was thought of as Jewish by many of the church fathers. However, in modern times an allegorical approach is considered highly suspicious, and changeable at the whim of the interpreter. So it seems the Jewish approach would be preferable today. Of course Peter was right, but I don't think an allegorical approach has to be any more of a private interpretation than the interpretation of a literalist like Nepos, since his opinion was considered private and non-allegorical. But you are right about post-modern interpretation.

      Alan Fuller
      http://www.lulu.com/arfuller

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011
        You must also remember that this would have been read more than once so there
        would be opportunities to pick up further details later.

        From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
        To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com

        I really don't know why we should discuss either Constantine or Justinian or any

        other figure subsequent to the penning of the Apocalypse.  It was not written

        primarily for a later age.  It was written for those to whom the book was

        delivered by the author's courier in his circuit around the loop which

        constituted the diocese of the author of the Apocalypse.  It was meant to be

        understood by them -- one must accept that it would have been compreshensible to

        them with their knowledge of the OT and the apocalyptic literature as well as

        the intimate knowledge they would have of their own age.  This was not something

        which would only become clear years and centuries or even millenia thereafter.

        It was a message to the bishop's parishoners.  It is only a message to us today

        in the sense that they still convey the same vital message which was set to

        "paper" when it was written just as Paul's letters were primarily letters to

        living and breathing people of the time in which he lived.  They are still

        meaningful and even vitally significant to us today, but we understand them much

        less easily than the original recipients would have.