Re: Apostolic Interpretation

  • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 14, 2011
      I note that even Eusebius calls it a private opinion by Nepos, and not a wide spread doctrine of the early church. He also refers to it as "Jewish."

      Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, vii.24

      >>1. Besides all these the two books on the Promises were prepared by him. The occasion of these was Nepos, a bishop in Egypt, who taught that the promises to the holy men in the Divine Scriptures should be understood in a more Jewish manner, and that there would be a certain millennium of bodily luxury upon this earth.
      2. As he thought that he could establish his private opinion by the Revelation of John, he wrote a book on this subject, entitled Refutation of Allegorists.<<

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011
        You must also remember that this would have been read more than once so there
        would be opportunities to pick up further details later.

        From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
        To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com

        I really don't know why we should discuss either Constantine or Justinian or any

        other figure subsequent to the penning of the Apocalypse.  It was not written

        primarily for a later age.  It was written for those to whom the book was

        delivered by the author's courier in his circuit around the loop which

        constituted the diocese of the author of the Apocalypse.  It was meant to be

        understood by them -- one must accept that it would have been compreshensible to

        them with their knowledge of the OT and the apocalyptic literature as well as

        the intimate knowledge they would have of their own age.  This was not something

        which would only become clear years and centuries or even millenia thereafter.

        It was a message to the bishop's parishoners.  It is only a message to us today

        in the sense that they still convey the same vital message which was set to

        "paper" when it was written just as Paul's letters were primarily letters to

        living and breathing people of the time in which he lived.  They are still

        meaningful and even vitally significant to us today, but we understand them much

        less easily than the original recipients would have.