Re: Apostolic Interpretation

  • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 14, 2011
      Thank you for re-posting the comments of Eusebius that were discussed in April. You may remember that Eusebius changed his eschatology after Rome adopted Christianity.

      Eusebius was a defender of Imperial Christianity. Please remember my earlier statements.

      Later fathers after Irenaeus and Clement of Alexandria, associated the future imminent break up of the Roman Empire with the appearance of Antichrist. In the fourth century the Roman emperor Constantine made Christianity the religion of the Roman Empire. Of course any talk about the breakup of the Roman Empire wouldn't have been taken very favorably, and the writings of the church fathers probably reflect that. Many writings that were popular with the early Christians, such as the Enoch books, Jubilees and the apostolic father Papias, become scarce in Europe.

      I do not find evidence that Papias taught a literal thousand year period of a messianic reign upon this earth. Barnabas, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus and Tertullian did not teach it, and none of them said Papias taught a literal reign upon this earth before the final judgment.

      They consistently taught the 7th millennium was on the new earth after the judgment. The thousand year periods came from 1 Enoch and Jubilees and were based on Genesis 2:17. What those early fathers understood was very close to amillennialism. Something close to modern premillennialism wasn't taught in the Christian tradition, besides the heretic Cerinthius, until Nepos of Egypt.

      After the empire took over the church there was a reaction against the earlier chiliasm because of its association with the breakup of the Roman empire. That's where the confusion about chiliasm began.

      >>4. And these things are borne witness to in writing by Papias, the hearer of John, and a companion of Polycarp, in his fourth book; <<

      Papias is mentioned by Irenaeus, Adv. Heresies. V. 33. 4, who informs us that he was a companion of Polycarp and a hearer of the apostle John. The justice of this criticism, passed by Eusebius upon the statement of Irenaeus, has been questioned by many, who have held that,in the passage, the same John is meant in both cases.

      Alan Fuller

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011
        You must also remember that this would have been read more than once so there
        would be opportunities to pick up further details later.

        From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
        To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com

        I really don't know why we should discuss either Constantine or Justinian or any

        other figure subsequent to the penning of the Apocalypse.  It was not written

        primarily for a later age.  It was written for those to whom the book was

        delivered by the author's courier in his circuit around the loop which

        constituted the diocese of the author of the Apocalypse.  It was meant to be

        understood by them -- one must accept that it would have been compreshensible to

        them with their knowledge of the OT and the apocalyptic literature as well as

        the intimate knowledge they would have of their own age.  This was not something

        which would only become clear years and centuries or even millenia thereafter.

        It was a message to the bishop's parishoners.  It is only a message to us today

        in the sense that they still convey the same vital message which was set to

        "paper" when it was written just as Paul's letters were primarily letters to

        living and breathing people of the time in which he lived.  They are still

        meaningful and even vitally significant to us today, but we understand them much

        less easily than the original recipients would have.