Re: [revelation-list] Apostolic Interpretation

    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 13, 2011
      I am really less concerned with the historically manifested schools of
      interpretation of the Apocalypse than I am with interpreting it according to its
      own principles.  First of all, it stands in the tradition of Jewish
      apocalypticism such as Daniel.  Secondly, it makes use of certain tropes which
      are standard to that literature and which must be understood to adequately
      interpret the message of the book.  Thirdly, allegorical interpretation is not
      to be followed unless the author himself indicates either by the tradition which
      he follows or by his own writing that such an allegorical interpretation is to
      be followed.  Fourthly, ALL elements of the narrative must be given due
      consideration.  Why in cap 4 is there mention of the rainbow about the one
      seated upon the throne?  Why is the "sea of crystal" mentioned?  Why is there
      mention of the extent of the dispersal of the blood in the reaping of the
      earth?  What is the significance of the dimensions of the New Jerusalem?  Why is
      the New Jerusalem depicted as "coming down from God out of heaven"?  Why is the
      number of the Beast 666 (surely this does NOT depict a use of gematria since
      many, many names could be derived by this method)?  Why is the number of
      the Beast to be on the RIGHT hand?  Why is it that the 144,000 are mentioned as
      being on Mt Zion with the Lamb and singing the song of Moses and of the Lamb?
      Why are there THREE -- the Dragon, the Beast from the sea, and the Beast from
      the Land?  Why are the martyrs in cap 6 which are under the altar said to be
      Christians (I don't think they are to be considered such)?

      Charles mentions that ALL are to be martyrs.  At first I resisted such an
      interpretation.  I have gradually come to think that he was correct in that
      assertion though I don't think that they are to be considered to be physical
      martyrs.  Those who were beheaded and sit on thrones and reign are not to be
      considered to reign in a literal 1000 yr period since the 1000 year period is
      one of those tropes which is manifest in both apocalyptic literature and in the
      OT itself.

      There are three periods depicted in the Apocalypse (or two with a subdivision of
      the second):  The antediluvian period (the martyrs of cap 6), the Jews (caps 13,
      14) and the Church.  Those who claim that there is no historical review in the
      Apocalypse are incorrect.

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2011
        You must also remember that this would have been read more than once so there
        would be opportunities to pick up further details later.

        From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
        To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com

        I really don't know why we should discuss either Constantine or Justinian or any

        other figure subsequent to the penning of the Apocalypse.  It was not written

        primarily for a later age.  It was written for those to whom the book was

        delivered by the author's courier in his circuit around the loop which

        constituted the diocese of the author of the Apocalypse.  It was meant to be

        understood by them -- one must accept that it would have been compreshensible to

        them with their knowledge of the OT and the apocalyptic literature as well as

        the intimate knowledge they would have of their own age.  This was not something

        which would only become clear years and centuries or even millenia thereafter.

        It was a message to the bishop's parishoners.  It is only a message to us today

        in the sense that they still convey the same vital message which was set to

        "paper" when it was written just as Paul's letters were primarily letters to

        living and breathing people of the time in which he lived.  They are still

        meaningful and even vitally significant to us today, but we understand them much

        less easily than the original recipients would have.