Re: [revelation-list] Re: Origin of Chiliasm

    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2010
      Incidentally, perhaps I shouldn't think things are too obvious, but I was struck by the similarity between the Papias quotation and that of 2 Baruch.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 29, 2010
        And rightly so Jan!

        I will also mention that Jubilees chapter 23 and 1:26-29 may be associated with the temporary messianic reign. I think that might be given in an article I mentioned in an earlier post.

        J. W. Bailey, "The Temporary Messianic Reign in the Literature of Early Judaism," Journal of Biblical Literature, 53,.2 (1934): 170-187

        What is interesting to me is that Justin relates the life of Adam to a millennial reign, while Irenaeus thinks of it in terms of the life of Christ. That reminds me of Papias' assertion that the earliest expositors in Alexandria agreed that the creation week was an allegory of the life of Christ. That is the structure I see in Revelation, and the argument I put forward in my book.

        Alan Fuller
        http://www.lulu.com/arfuller

        Message 3 of 8 , May 29, 2010
          Of course, ultimately the concept of chiliasm goes back to the "world week" in which the world is to last 7 days of 1000 years each.

          I will also mention that Jubilees chapter 23 and 1:26-29 may be associated with the temporary messianic reign. I think that might be given in an article I mentioned in an earlier post.

          J. W. Bailey, "The Temporary Messianic Reign in the Literature of Early Judaism," Journal of Biblical Literature, 53,.2 (1934): 170-187

          What is interesting to me is that Justin relates the life of Adam to a millennial reign, while Irenaeus thinks of it in terms of the life of Christ. That reminds me of Papias' assertion that the earliest expositors in Alexandria agreed that the creation week was an allegory of the life of Christ. That is the structure I see in Revelation, and the argument I put forward in my book.

          Alan Fuller
          http://www.lulu.com/arfuller

          --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

          > Incidentally, perhaps I shouldn't think things are too obvious, but I was struck by the similarity between the Papias quotation and that of 2 Baruch.
          >
          >  george
          > gfsomsel
          >

          > … search for truth, hear truth,
          > defend the truth till death.
          >

          > - Jan Hus

        • Jon Newton
          Message 4 of 8 , May 29, 2010
            I'm not sure it's as "obvious" as that

            Looking at Jewish writings pre-Revelation, the world week is one strand but the idea of a preliminary reign of messiah before the final end and the theme in Jubilees of 1000 years as a human lifespan are all feeding into it

            (Pastor) Jon Newton