RE: [revelation-list] Re: Rev 2-3 and Rev 4ff

  • Tom Ricks
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9 7:30 AM
      Agree with your assessment and appreciate your thoughts. (Unfortunately
      I have heard way too much on the "wild speculation" side of the story!)

      Tom

      Dr. Tom Ricks

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9 2:07 PM
        Hi,
        I did not mean to imply that one had to be a physical Israelite to enter the New Jerusalem. My point was that the idea of 12 tribes was clearly symbolic. After all Gentiles get in, don't we?
        Also I was pointing out that the idea of 144,000 is clearly symbolic, being the external dimensions of the city, i.e. the border that includes all the inhabitants.
        I don't think such interpretation is wooden at all. Simply reflects the symbols as given in the book. If we don't use the keys John gives us then we are inventing our own. And who says that we have been given the secret code?
        John B

        --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "biblestudy" <biblestudy@...>
        wrote:

        > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
        Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
        Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
        all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
        exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
        literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
        methodology which does just that.

        > For example:
        > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
        gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
        member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
        Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
        Israelites.
        > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
        fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
        edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
        a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
        Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
        clearly intended to be symbolic.

        > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
        church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
        exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

        > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
        harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
        but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
        Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
        began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
        symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
        gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
        Jewish one.

        > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
        are just guessing out of our own minds.

        > Yours
        > John B

      • biblestudy
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9 2:07 PM
          I agree. Or even of Hebrews.
          John B

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9 2:12 PM
            I personally think the Great Whore is all the "Romes" of history. It is a system rather than a place and it has been present in all the seven "mountains" or empires of Gentile history - Babel, Assyria, Babylon, Medo Persia, Greece, Rome and will be present in the "Rome" of the "Beast".

            (Obviously I am a futurist, not an Amillennialist or Historicist. Though I ,do not deny the truth of those interpretations. I think God has writeen Revelaiotn so that ther are several "layers" of interpretation, all of which are correct and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Probably I would be best categorised as an Idealist Futurist.)
            John B

            wrote:

            > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
            Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
            Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
            all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
            exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
            literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
            methodology which does just that.

            > For example:
            > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
            gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
            member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
            Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
            Israelites.
            > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
            fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
            edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
            a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
            Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
            clearly intended to be symbolic.

            > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
            church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
            exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

            > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
            harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
            but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
            Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
            began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
            symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
            gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
            Jewish one.

            > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
            are just guessing out of our own minds.

            > Yours
            > John B

          • Moriah Plastics (Coates)
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10 1:57 AM
              What would the New Perspective on Paul have to say about the communal salvic
              nature of the flight from Jerusalem?

              J Coates

              From: revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com
[...]

              --- In revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com
              wrote:

              > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
              Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
              Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
              all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
              exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
              literal. This wou
              ld open the door again to the Pretribulation school
              methodology which does just that.

              > For example:
              > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
              gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
              member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
              Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
              Israelites.
              > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
              fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
              edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
              a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
              Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
              clearly intended to be symbolic.

              > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
              church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
              exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

              > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
              harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
              but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
              Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
              began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
              symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
              gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
              Jewish one.

              > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
              are just guessing out of our own minds.

              > Yours
              > John B

              mailto:revelation-list-
              <mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
              fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com