Re: Rev 2-3 and Rev 4ff

  • drjenney2
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
      I am confident the original meaning of the Revelation was the actual
      city of Rome. Thus, the "exegetical answer" is Rome itself.

      The "application answer" [hermeneutics proper] is trickier. Certainly
      God is opposed to all kinds of whoredom and, I suppose, there are many
      different cities and nations that have typified this kind of behavior
      since Revelation was penned.

      Ultimately, how one applies this analysis to the contemporary
      situation depends upon his/her/their perspective, far more than it
      depends upon Revelation itself.

      That's as far as I am willing to go on this list, the purpose of which
      is to support the scholarly discussion of Revelation. In my opinion,
      the application questions need to be discussed elsewhere, especially
      as some of them fall into the realm of sheer wild speculation.

      Blessings,
      Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D.
      Regent University
      Moderator

    • KennethGentry@cs.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
        My understanding of Revelation is that it is a forensic drama presenting God's divorce of his OT wife Israel, and his taking?a new bride, the Church. John intentionally puts on the mantle of an OT prophet and denounces Israel in similar terms. This is why the book is so Judaic in its grammar and imagery, with innumerable allusions to OT passages.

        I believe the harlot is Jerusalem, who is being modeled on Jer 3 and Eze 16 (and?Isaiah 1). In Rev 17 she is seen riding the beast (Rome) because she depended on Rome to get at Christ and Christians. Remember her call in John's Gospel (I believe John also wrote Revelation): "We have no king but Caesar. Crucify him!" And this from a book that declares "he came to his own and his own received him not" (Jn 1:11). And from a book that repeatedly refers to?"the Jews" ---?in a bad light.

        This approach matches up with the two statements regarding "the synagogue of Satan" inhabited by people who "call themselves Jews" in Rev 2:9 and 3:9. This reminds us of Jesus' charge in John 8:44: "You are of your father the devil."

        This also explains the trampling of the temple (Rev 11:2), which language is modeled on Lk 21:24. It also explains the merging of Zech 12 and Dan 7 in Rev 1:7. This merger?uniquely occurs elsewhere only in Mt 24:31, which is explaining the destruction of the temple (cf. Mt 28:38-24:2, 16) in that "generation" (Mt 24:34). And the Olivet Discourse is given in the context of Israel's rejecting Christ (Mt 23:38) and soon persecution of his follows (Mt 23:32-36).

        The historical Jerusalem in Revelation is denounced as new Egypt (Rev 11:8), from which the persecuted Christians must?depart by means of an exodus (note Revelation's frequent exodus imagery and?Egyptian plague imagery, e.g., Rev 15:3; 18:4; etc., etc., etc.)

        I am convinced John is enhancing and expanding on Christ's Olivet Discourse (which may explain why it does not appear in his Gospel).

        I am currently researching and writing a 1000 page commentary on Revelation. It will be titled: "The Divorce of Israel: A Redemptive-historical Commentary on the Book of Revelation."

        Ken Gentry
        Author, Before Jerusalem Fell: Dating the Book of Revelation

        wrote:

        > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
        Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
        Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
        all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
        exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
        literal. This wou
        ld open the door again to the Pretribulation school
        methodology which does just that.

        > For example:
        > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
        gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
        member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
        Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
        Israelites.
        > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
        fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
        edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
        a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
        Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
        clearly intended to be symbolic.

        > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
        church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
        exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

        > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
        harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
        but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
        Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
        began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
        symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
        gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
        Jewish one.

        > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
        are just guessing out of our own minds.

        > Yours
        > John B

        mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Tom Ricks
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
          Agree with your assessment and appreciate your thoughts. (Unfortunately
          I have heard way too much on the "wild speculation" side of the story!)

          Tom

          Dr. Tom Ricks

          ________________________________

          <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "Tom Ricks" <tom@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > clearly intended to be symbolic.
          > >
          > > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
          > church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
          > exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.
          > >
          > > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
          > harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
          > but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
          > Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
          > began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
          > symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
          > gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
          > Jewish one.
          > >
          > > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we

        • biblestudy
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
            Hi,
            I did not mean to imply that one had to be a physical Israelite to enter the New Jerusalem. My point was that the idea of 12 tribes was clearly symbolic. After all Gentiles get in, don't we?
            Also I was pointing out that the idea of 144,000 is clearly symbolic, being the external dimensions of the city, i.e. the border that includes all the inhabitants.
            I don't think such interpretation is wooden at all. Simply reflects the symbols as given in the book. If we don't use the keys John gives us then we are inventing our own. And who says that we have been given the secret code?
            John B

            --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "biblestudy" <biblestudy@...>
            wrote:

            > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
            Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
            Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
            all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
            exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
            literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
            methodology which does just that.

            > For example:
            > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
            gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
            member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
            Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
            Israelites.
            > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
            fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
            edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
            a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
            Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
            clearly intended to be symbolic.

            > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
            church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
            exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

            > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
            harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
            but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
            Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
            began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
            symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
            gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
            Jewish one.

            > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
            are just guessing out of our own minds.

            > Yours
            > John B

          • biblestudy
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
              I agree. Or even of Hebrews.
              John B

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                I personally think the Great Whore is all the "Romes" of history. It is a system rather than a place and it has been present in all the seven "mountains" or empires of Gentile history - Babel, Assyria, Babylon, Medo Persia, Greece, Rome and will be present in the "Rome" of the "Beast".

                (Obviously I am a futurist, not an Amillennialist or Historicist. Though I ,do not deny the truth of those interpretations. I think God has writeen Revelaiotn so that ther are several "layers" of interpretation, all of which are correct and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Probably I would be best categorised as an Idealist Futurist.)
                John B

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                  By citing James and 1 Peter I was not attempting to imply that those addressed were Jews.  In fact, my intention was quite the opposite.  They were NOT ADDRESSING JEWS but Christians whom they were equating with Israel.  This seems to have been a common practice in the early Church.  The implication is that they Jews of the OT and the Church of the NT form one People of God.  The Church replaces the Jews so that the author of the Apocalypse can state that those who claim to be Jews, i.e. those who were physically Jews, were not the true Israel.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                    I would disagree that the Whore of Babylon is Rome.� It would include Rome, but it would also represent any and all powers which attempt to wield power without reference to God and solely on the basis of human authority.� I think the equation of the Whore with any single world power is an error and leads to an attempt to find too much specific�"historical" reference in the work.� It certainly does not represent Jerusalem.
                    �george
                    gfsomsel

                    � search for truth, hear truth,

                    I am confident the original meaning of the Revelation was the actual
                    city of Rome. Thus, the "exegetical answer" is Rome itself.

                    The "application answer" [hermeneutics proper] is trickier. Certainly
                    God is opposed to all kinds of whoredom and, I suppose, there are many
                    different cities and nations that have typified this kind of behavior
                    since Revelation was penned.

                    Ultimately, how one applies this analysis to the contemporary
                    situation depends upon his/her/their perspective, far more than it
                    depends upon Revelation itself.

                    That's as far as I am willing to go on this list, the purpose of which
                    is to support the scholarly discussion of Revelation. In my opinion,
                    the application questions need to be discussed elsewhere, especially
                    as some of them fall into the realm of sheer wild speculation.

                    Blessings,
                    Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D.
                    Regent University
                    Moderator

                    --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Ricks" <tom@...> wrote:

                    > Are you suggesting that the Great Whore is relegated only to Rome? Or
                    > are you saying that it symbolizes all "Romes" throughout the history of
                    > the church? I
                    >

                    > Tom
                    >
                    > Dr. Tom Ricks
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    .

                  • Moriah Plastics (Coates)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                      What would the New Perspective on Paul have to say about the communal salvic
                      nature of the flight from Jerusalem?

                      J Coates

                      From: revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
[...]

                      --- In revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      wrote:

                      > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
                      Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
                      Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
                      all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
                      exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
                      literal. This wou
                      ld open the door again to the Pretribulation school
                      methodology which does just that.

                      > For example:
                      > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
                      gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
                      member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
                      Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
                      Israelites.
                      > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
                      fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
                      edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
                      a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
                      Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
                      clearly intended to be symbolic.

                      > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
                      church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
                      exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

                      > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
                      harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
                      but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
                      Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
                      began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
                      symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
                      gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
                      Jewish one.

                      > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
                      are just guessing out of our own minds.

                      > Yours
                      > John B

                      mailto:revelation-list-
                      <mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
                      fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com